GHA - Optional, should I get it?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
kellybell

GHA - Optional, should I get it?

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:41 pm

Elissa Baker wrote:I have been planning ahead for CtG and I am not sure if I should get God and the History of Art or not, since it is listed as optional. My oldest will be 9 when we would start using GatHoA. And my (then 7 year old) daughter would probably want to try too ...

Are there a lot of other art projects (besides those in God/Hist. Art) scheduled in the lesson plans? I would like to hear from anyone who did or did not use it and what your thoughts are.
There are some art projects, but the real art history and art techniques will come from GatHoA so I would recommend getting it. I like the way the Hazells have sort of rearranged the art lessons to fit in with CtG. So, you do a chunk of GatHoA and then skip to another section, always having it tie in with the other CtG lessons.

I like the book but must admit it was a bit over the head of my (at the time) 8 year old. So, I backed off a little. Sometimes I could see that a particular lesson had a certain frustration factor, so I skipped it. However, the lessons did make an impact. Over a year later, she's still making the occasional pyramid maze or Egyptian style picture. I'm looking forward to using it for RtR and beyond.

Some things to consider:

GatHoA is expensive but it's also to last four years. So, instead of it being a $60 book think of it being a $15 per year book. That makes it a little easier to consider.

If you want a different art, remember that you've got four years to cover with art.

If you decide on GatHoA, then I recommend that you try to scrape together the money to purchase a book for EACH student. When each child has a book the art work (at least the stuff you do in the book) stays nice and neat and the student has it all in one place. It's a big purchase, but maybe grandma or grandpa can chip in some birthday money or something.

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:16 am

Kelly, I was hoping to get by with one book by having them use a sketch pad for their work. Will that work? I'm not sure how they would all huddle around the book though. I suppose the copies could be put in a binder. How many days a week is it used?
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Unread post by Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:28 am

Two days per week.

I have in the back of my mind that the author of GatHoA recommends journals/ sketch books. Can't verify that in the text. It just sticks in my mind from hearing him once.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:06 pm

A lot can be done in a sketch pad but there are some which you do copy from or add to the examples and it is helpful to have it in front of you. You are given full permission to copy it for as many students as you need it for. We just used plain paper and the copies and added them to a notebook. Even if you do not do all the projects the history of how art shaped or showed the history of people is really awesome.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 am

I just bought one copy. We use sketchbooks or regular paper if they want to put a project in their notebooks (with page protectors). I haven't had to copy that much so far.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

Shelly Best

GaCTA

Unread post by Shelly Best » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:58 pm

Elissa,

I am using this book for my third year this year. We began in CTG and this year we are piloting Amer. Hist. Each year the art is lined up to go with the lesson for the week. This year we do our art one day a week, though it is in the lesson plan for twice a week.

I sit at the head of the table with one child on each side of me and turn the book to face the children, so I am reading it to them upside down. Sometimes I am challenged, (before my cup of coffee), "HA!" so I read the page and turn the book to face them. One thing I would suggest, if you are not working in the book, is to make a page with different size rectangles and squares on your computer for a master and make copies. The book requests different things to be drawn in squares through the book, obviously this is tooooooo challenging for a full page on a sketch pad. It was for us anyhow, so I cam up with the idea to create this master copy. I just have my children write their name at the top of the page and the lesson # next to the box. We have saved on paper and have done as many as 5 lessons on a page.

Another idea is to buy different color card stock for the pages and cut out squares the same as the master art page so it becomes a frame to the art. You can glue the two together. We have some drawings my daughter has done and she has them framed on her bedroom wall.

Hope this helps!
Blessings,
Shelly of CA
wife to Mike;
mother of Hannah(13), Michael(12), Thomas(9)
MFW since 2000

Elissa Baker

Unread post by Elissa Baker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:43 pm

Looking at other posts GatHoA seems to be highly esteemed by most who've used it. I think we'll give it a try.

Shelly Best

Unread post by Shelly Best » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:23 pm

My oldest was 9yo when we began, she is a natural for art, so it was easy for her. My boys haven't shown much interest until this year. As they see I am learning and have gone from stick people to an ability to draw a decent picture, the boys have really taken interest this year. My 7yo son does very well for his age.

The one thing to remember, as I have learned, each child is different and will advance at their own pace. We take pride in each drawing knowing we are getting better. We keep an art portfolio (specific for art that can be purchased at an art store) with each picture and like to look back at our improvements.

With all that said; the program begins with learning basic drawing techniques, lines, shapes, colors, etc...the remainder of the program is using all the techniques drawing pictures of history with Biblical reference. Very good!

It is a four year program, so it is okay to begin slow. Some days we do one lesson, others days we have done as many as six. Depending on the mood we are in. I discovered, it helps when doing our art, to take it outside of our home. To the park, library, church...this stimulates their connection to new environments and the art.
Blessings,
Shelly of CA
wife to Mike;
mother of Hannah(13), Michael(12), Thomas(9)
MFW since 2000

cbollin

Where should I purchase the paints, colored pencils, etc...?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:58 am

Shae wrote:I was wondering how expensive it is to purchase the items needed for God and the History of Art. How many ordered the bundle from How Great Thou Art.com or can I just go to Walmart for the paints and colored pencils? I'd appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks, Shaela
I think the current cost that How Great Thou Art lists is $22

I just use a local retailer for art/craft supplies to get similar things. I originally bought the bundle from HGTA a long time ago.

hope that helps

--crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:40 pm

We did GHA with my 4th grader, & occasionally my 12th grader. The 4th grader did "most" of it but sometimes dropped a lesson or two (there were several on Greek pottery & he only wanted to do one, etc.). But he could have done a lot less & still gotten something out of it.

To me it offered 2 different things.

1. Art lessons. These start with drawing lessons, and at the end of the year you start paining lessons. You actually learn to mix your own colors, with very detailed instruction.

2. Art history. This includes mostly Egypt & Greece in CTG, but also includes a couple art masters that are studied & imitated.

I agree that it's totally optional. But underneath that, it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. Even parts of it can be an option.

I was glad for the art history because I didn't think those topics were duplicated very often in the other readings & we found the reflection of the culture in art to be very interesting.

In Egypt, artists were to strictly follow the standard plan, without deviating into creativity. They had some funny ways of drawing, also, with the body facing forward & the head in profile, and the lessons even mention that both feet seem to have the big toe facing you :o)

In Greece, artists became creative. It was the first time they signed their works. Nudity became an issue & is discussed in GHA.

It could be expensive to use only some of the topics, but over 4 years you could get your money's worth even by only covering a few things here & there...

Just another thought,
Julie

cbollin

God and the History of Art 1 and 2

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

sewardmom wrote:Just curious for those of you who have been through the complete cycle, are all the lessons in both of the GATHOA books 1 and 2 used? If not, it would be really nice to know which sections are left undone so I could let my dc do them in their free time or in the summer.
~Terri
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:54 pm
God and the History of Art is used over 4 years in MFW curriculum. Almost all of the book is scheduled.

The following things are not scheduled:
*the end of unit quizzes/exams
*the student gallery pictures that come on the page after the exam.
*wait a minute.... I think p. 64 is skipped and possibly page 38. :)

The paint cards/marker cards are scheduled lessons within the GATHOA book. As you look at the paint and marker cards, you’ll see the page number reference on it. Then you can look at the lesson on that page. That will give you a better idea of which MFW year it will be part of.

We’ve done a lot of the marker cards in 1850-MOD. But I think it is possible that one section on marker card D was not actually assigned. But it may have been the case that my child skipped that section or it may not have been assigned. The rest of the marker card D she did, so I may have let her stop that day or something.

In 1850-MOD, the final chapter of GATHOA is scheduled as optional. That chapter is the Concluding remarks and glossary and answers to the exams. <grin> As well as a few independent study lessons for motivated students. So, take a look through that section for some summer activities.

--crystal

MelissaB

God and the history of art question

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 pm

cjgrubbs wrote:We've been using Meet the Masters art and I have 1 year left on my 3 year subscription I purchased through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. Can we just continue to use this along with MFW or should I switch to God and the History of Art? Are there distinct advantages of using it over something else? I will need I Can do All Things for my 2nd grader also.
I'm not familiar with Meet the Masters.

The benefit to using G&HA is that it is not just learning to draw art, it's also an art history book (that's actually interesting ... great writing). As you study the Egyptian culture in CTG, your student will study the history of Egyptian Art, while drawing pyramids and working on perspective. As you study Greek civilization, you'll study its contribution to art, and so on. The same will be done the next year in RTR (Roman art, Renaissance, etc.)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: God and the history of art question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am

I agree with Amy that God and the History of Art is really helpful just as a history book, since so many of our values and ideals are reflected in those images. Over the years, it also gives kids a cultural knowledge of art pieces that are recognized today. And the last benefit of the "history" portion is the occasional discussion of things like how a Christian looks at art, how Jesus should be portrayed, etc.

As for the art lessons, we often did other things in co-op, etc., and it worked out fine.

Hopefully Amy and I have given you enough picture of GHA to know whether what you have does the same things. I can't compare, either.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs