EFRU - Success with younger siblings?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Jill S

EFRU - Success with younger siblings?

Unread post by Jill S » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:58 pm

Tina wrote:I am wondering who out there has had success with English from the Roots up with a 2nd or 3rd grader. My ds is a young 2nd grade student. I don't want to overwhelm him. Any thoughts and did you have success using this with a 2nd-3rd grader?

(I will still buy the deluxe package because my dd will use this, however, I just wanted your opinion of how your younger students may have done with English from the Roots up)
My second grader (was 7 through most of the school year) does a great job with the Greek root words. I ask them about the definitions often and she almost always knows them. About the only thing that frustrates her is that it takes her longer than her brothers to write all the info on the cards. But she's a little competitive. ;-)
Mom to Alex, 12, Russia--RtR
Luke, 12--RtR
Song, 9, China--RtR
Vera, 8, Russia, Down Syndrome
Anna, 7--MFW1
Emma, 6, Down Syndrome
Ella, 3, Colombia, Down Syndrome

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Tina,

I did mostly flashcard style with this book instead of all the suggestions to use it. One side had the Greek word, the other side was the definition and a few of the words listed in the EFTRU book. I took a very casual approach to using it with my oldest (3rd grade Greek, 4th grade Latin). I guessed it was more about learning to see the root in the English word to help decode meaning. Very relaxed, easy to do. And child #2 joined in on some of the words (she was in 1st grade this year and is one of my language delayed girls.)

I followed the suggestion in the EFTRU book to have the teacher write front of the cards. And I made two sets so that we could see each side throughout the day. I taped it on the wall above the main white board. Took it down on "test" day and put new one up next week.

Crystal

Julie in MN

EFRU

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:15 am

Tina,
The author of EFRU actually designed the program for her class of 2nd graders. She describes a day in her classroom & the kids sound like they were just as adept as Jill's daughter is. Sometimes things like looking up words in the dictionary are even more fun for the younger ones, who aren't as jaded yet. And once you get about 17 words down, Marie has included some games in the CTG guide that make review fun.

Like Crystal mentioned, the author wrote on the fronts of the cards so they all "looked equally nice." On the backs, I just have my 4th grader write 2-4 words/definitions, rather than all of the examples. I choose the most "commonly known" words. Even one word would give the idea.

I have to share a cute story. This week we learned "para" and my ds had such fun with his little joke -- on the back of his card, after parable and parachute and paraclete, he wrote:
"pairashoes - what Allie buys" (Allie is big sister LOL)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:55 pm

Thanks for that, Julie.
Reid is quick and witty!
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

Heather (WI)

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:11 am

Hi Tina,

We are using CtG next year (for 4th grade), and EFTRU also--and I just ordered the word cards. I think they will be worth it so Mom doesn't have to copy all that information. AND, I think they will be handy for the games Marie has in the Teacher's Manual for review.

Hope this helps!!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
MFW user since 2004:
ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR,
and starting Ex-1850 in Aug. 2008!!

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:21 am

The TM only has you working with one word a week so it is not overwhelming. Marie also gives some different directions in the TM than the book for the cards and as Julie said the idea is not that they learn all the words in the book but that they just learn a word or 2 to help remember the greek word or prefix so that later they can use that knowlegde to help them understand a new word. I think it is very doable. I only had my 3rd grader write one word on the back of his card. They do other things each day with the words so you do not want them to have too many to have to work with.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

tabby

Re: CTG: English FTRU - second grader?

Unread post by tabby » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 am

HeyChelle wrote:So my second grade boy is tripping up on the vocabulary. He has been ok with the amount of writing, but this assignment tips the scale. He is reading and writing, but still has to work at it. He is not reading smoothly, yet, but is improving now that we changed his glasses.

Today we started big Sis on vocabulary and then brother and I did phonics review and read sections of his Bible reader from first grade. I think it makes sense to continue this plan, especially since he will repeat CTG in seventh grade.

Anyone have reasons for me to reconsider?
This sounds almost exactly like my son last year in his second grade year. I had the same thought as you, "He will get this again when it comes back around later in the cycle."

I think it is a great idea to solidify those phonics rules with a review of some 1st grade material. I did some review lessons with ds, too. This year he is really reading more fluently and helping me to see that it was okay to take it a little slower and make sure he was really "getting it" last year.

HTH
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW

Poohbee

Re: CTG: English FTRU - second grader?

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 am

I think it is wise to drop the vocab for your son, especially if it is a challenge for him right now. I had already decided ahead of time that I won't require my second grader to do EFRU this year as we do RtR. I keep in mind my eldest dd's second grade year, which was Adventures, and I try to have similar expectations for my second dd at this age. I am already adding more subjects and more work this year for my 2nd grader by adding spelling and asking her to sit in on more of our main program than I did when she was in 1st grade, so I didn't want the vocab to push her over the edge. :-) As you've both already mentioned, I considered that my dd will do EFRU when we do RtR again in 5 years, so I don't worry about her missing it this year. You're in tune to your son's needs. Good decision to skip it for now!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy