2 income homeschoolers using Adventures?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
manyblessings

2 income homeschoolers using Adventures?

Unread post by manyblessings » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:33 am

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on how they make homeschooling with MFW work for them when both parents work. With a lot of prayer I applied to seminary and was accepted. It is a 2 year program with mostly online courses, 4 week-long trips out of state, and average 20-hour a week local internship. I have a full tuition scholarship, supplies stipend, travel allowance, housing stipend, and internship stipend, so it is an amazing opportunity financially besides finally doing what I feel called to do. My husband works full time weekdays, 7 to 4, and we have one car. Many of my internship hours will likely be during those hours. This is challenging-some working homeschoolers have advised to switch to online so our daughter can work on her own when being babysat, but we want to stay with MFW. Is it possible? Are we doomed to switch to an online program?
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

christianmom

Re: 2 income homeschoolers using Adventures?

Unread post by christianmom » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 am

I had 4 very young children when I did Adventures, but the actual Adventures part of our day was around 2 - 2 1/2 hours a day. I was also doing MFW 1 & Pre-K at the time.

My Father’s World is very hands on for mom. Adventures takes longer than first and ECC takes longer than Adventures. Each year math and language arts increases in time. They do grow in independence, but teaching Algebra also takes time.

I haven’t worked outside the home as a homeschool mom. I can barely keep up at home with homeschooling 4, and I know plenty of moms homeschooling one child who also find it to be a full time job.

I was called to be home with my kids and homeschool so I gave up working outside the home for this precious season. I am an advocate for hands on homeschooling since it allows for relationship building with our kids and the opportunity to point them to our Savior and LORD Jesus Christ.

I have had opportunities that were temptations that clearly went against God’s Word that I had to resist. Other opportunities have been blessings. Sometimes what looks like a great opportunity is the LORD’s blessing, and sometimes it is a temptation to resist. I would encourage you to spend time in the WORD for the LORD’s direction for this season.

I lovingly want to share a few verses:

“That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.”
‭‭Titus‬ ‭2:4-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:11-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

God Bless,

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:09 am

I always worked about 25 hours a week while homeschooling. I married a good and wise man without a high school diploma. We managed by working different shifts and having an afternoon babysitter whom we ensured did some of the fun things we wanted for our kids -- like playing outdoors. In the long run, it turned out to be for my own good, since I was widowed while still homeschooling. Having job contacts in place meant employers reached out when I needed that (even life insurance is not endless LOL). I have always seen God provide enough, but it has happened in different ways in my life.

Working an internship plus studying sounds like a lot more hours than I have experienced while homeschooling, but I did have to add caring for a sick husband into my days and it still worked to homeschool. For me, the busy days made the time I spent teaching my kids even more precious. When parents are not at home a lot, kids of course get used to doing things without them. Then when you are home, they may continue to gravitate towards their own interests especially as they get older, and you will likely gravitate towards household tasks, leaving you with no time together.

Having a more structured but fun "school time" in place might bring your kids together with you and/or your husband every single day -- giving you much-needed time to pray and read inspiring literature and talk about important topics with one another.

Total teaching time for grades 2 and up should be about 2.5 hours (less for Adventures). If that sounds like too much, then I'd focus on Bible and history. Those subjects are so values-laden that I've always wanted to teach them myself, and MFW is really designed for that, and already planned out for you.

Your children could easily be trained to do the "assignment" portion of their school day with the babysitter, after you trained her in a little bit. When I needed to start getting ready for work, I'd put things like independent reading time, Bible verse copywork, math workbook, notebook pages, etc., on a marker board for the afternoon -- those things (plus other subjects, if necessary) could also be left for the next day with the babysitter.

You might select a babysitter and other helpers who can do some of the things that are important to you, just as we did -- whether that is an outdoorsy gal or guy, someone good at laundry, or a math tutor. Search out all your resources -- my mother-in-law would cut out some of the hands-on science materials in advance so they were ready for us; my sister did occasional field trips.

Here is an archive of past conversations that might be helpful as you think this through:
Homeschooling while working, earning a degree, etc. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2358

Blessings as you navigate these big decisions,
Julie

wbbeachbum

Unread post by wbbeachbum » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:06 pm

I have always worked while homeschooling my kids. Prior to 2018, I worked 24 hours a week. Since 2018, I have worked full time 36 hours a week night shift. Starting this month I will be working day shift 36 hours a week.

Each week is a little different but 3-12 hour shifts and sleep during the day since currently working night shift. Husband works M-F 7-4. Home at 430pm. Kids do a co-op on Thursday and I take them.

Homeschooling MFW is very doable for our family!

Each week I block out teaching time with the 7 year old. Maybe school will be 8-12 on my days off. Maybe it will be 12-4pm if I am coming off a shift. Maybe it will be 3-6pm after coop, maybe it will be a few hours on a Saturday. I block 12 hours each week but usually takes around 10 or so.

Read aloud happens at bedtime. Book basket happens daily after lunch.

She works daily on subjects that she is able to do independently. Currently this list is Math that she understands, copywork, science reading, and dictation. I make her a list using a composition book with boxes to check. The parent at home at dinner time checks her list and asks questions about her work. The key is to pick subjects that are easily completed without supervision from the teaching parent. The motivation for us is easy since there are 3 independent teens in our home to model independence.

I hope this is encouraging for you!
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09

Currently homeschooling 16yo ds, 13yo dd, 13 yo dd, & 7 yo dd.
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp1850, 1850MOD, AHL, & WHL

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. Rest assured this has been taken to prayer and my husband and I have extensively studied the letters of Paul, and their historical context. Not everyone's situation is the same. I recall even the Hazell's had mom working and dad teaching. I should add that while my husband currently works, he has a condition that will result in his death. It's only a question of when. He may go suddenly or he may require my care one day. Our goal is to reduce his stress so his life may last longer. I have been a stay at home mom for over 20 years, so I respect stay at home moms, and my husband has faithfully provided and I respect him. But now in his sickness we have been led to this path so that I, the healthier one, can work and provide and help bear my husband's burden as he has borne mine. I am following God's call and honoring my husband, the two are not mutually exclusive. My husband and I are in agreement. The Lord allowed everything so far to fall into place, and we have the support of our Pastor, our church, and our community. Many thanks to those in similar situations as me who contributed here ways they have made homeschooling with MFW work while mom works.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Lourdes,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's condition. Blessings as you navigate his needs alongside the needs of your littlest one.

If My Father's World can help with prayer or in any other way, feel free to give us a call. If your husband ends up doing some of the homeschooling, he might enjoy talking to families in the office where the husband does the homeschooling or has done it in the past. Vision Weekend is also a wonderful resource for couples who could use a space for re-imagining God's call in their lives.

Julie

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:12 pm

I just want to add that MFW has never taken us as long as they say. I think Adv. Took us an hour to 1 1/2 hours. I think you can make it longer or shorter as needed. I tend to do CM short lessons. Doing that can allow you to spread things throughout the day or fit into the schedule you need. Others have given ideas about how they do that on thid post. I also know that God gives grace and the ability to what he calls you to do!
Keep praying and seeking him to guide how much time you spend on school and how much at home. He will show you how to spend your time and do what he has called you to do!
Blessings on your next year!
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW K
Ds 4: VOD
Ds. 2: being very active😜