Ideas: ECC Fun extras

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Your Top Ten ECC Extras

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:14 pm

We loved ECC. My dd walked in and I asked her this question and she startled rattling off about 2 dozen things we did last year -- most of them were in the TM or Trip books.

Extra stuff included:
* trip to zoo for South America
* trip to "Out of Africa"
* recipes that are now "in the arsenal" because they were so good: Brazilian Fish Stew, Brigadieros, Canadian Blueberry Buckle dessert, Spiced Rice with raisins(India), Baked Cod in milk, Rice Pudding (with a hidden almond in it), and we already loved potato pancakes -- I highly recommend that you include eating a meal from the country you are studying! I'm gluten intolerant on top of other eating restrictions and made it work, and it was sooooo worth it! Get the "Cooking the ______ Way" for each country if you can.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Joyhomeschool

Re: Your Top Ten ECC Extras

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 am

We used often:

1. Geopuzzles
2. Geo Cards
3. Geo Bingo
4. Draw Write Now series (I have the whole kit and caboodle so we used it)
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

robertb10502

Favorite extras

Unread post by robertb10502 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 pm

This year our favorite extras with ECC has been the Geo puzzles and Planet Earth dvd's.
joyfulmom wrote:We are doing ECC right now - what Geo puzzles? And what Planet Earth dvd's? Would love to learn more!
Thanks,
Lori
Geo puzzles
search title is GeoPuzzle (World GeoPuzzle, Asia GeoPuzzle, etc.)

Planet earth DVDs
search title is Planet Earth (Six-Disc Special Edition) (2011), Narrated by David Attenborough (Actor), Alastair Fothergill (Director)
I did not pay that much for it. It is the same set I have though. I think I got it for $35 ish about a year ago.
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

jasntas

Re: Favorite extras

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 pm

Just an FYI: The Planet Earth DVD's are available through Netflix. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

4monkeyz

MFW seems like perfect fit... have a few questions

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am

YVA wrote:I also see that homeschoolshare.com has free lapbooks for many countries. I'd love to hear ideas on how to mix things up for the days that we are feeling up to using the scissors and glue.
Hi Yolanda! This is our first time through ECC, starting in the fall, and I love the lapbook idea!! Have you heard of notebooking? It is sort of lapbooking but in a binder, which would work in tandem with MFW notebook for ECC. Use cardstock to glue the little books and things onto then three-hole punch and add to the binder sections.

For our something extra fun, I am putting together continent boxes. Right now there isn't much - currency, stamps, stickers, plastic animals, flags, etc. It sounds like a lot, but not every box has everything. Plus, I know I am going to be going through the cycle a few times, so my plan is to add something to the boxes the next time around. I would love to add spices or fabrics for my little ones. It has been a lot of fun! My mom gave me several plastic food storage containers she didn't need any more - there were 7 with lids!! Perfect and free. :-) I also had a friend call me, her library was getting rid of their National Geographic magazines!! Her dh thought she was crazy with a trunk full of magazines. Heehee. I have cut up a few with images of people and geography. Anyways, just wanted to share another fun idea. I love how MFW gives me a focus for our school year - world geography, Greeks, or US history. It makes it easy to plan extras and field trips, and keeps me from over extending. Have fun! :)
YVA wrote:4Monkeyz - I'm intrigued by your continent boxes - can you explain that in more detail? I don't understand what they are, but it sounds like fun. Is it like an exploration box for the children to enjoy with each country?
I adore continent boxes! :) It is a Montessori idea, they are essentially a way for children to explore a continent more in depth. If you google "continent box" you will come up with quite a bit and then pinterest has some ideas for boxes as well. It can be a little overwhelming. Some people go all out. Which I found rather intimidating, but my dh reminded me I have all summer to find things.

I don't really want the boxes to be a sensory overload. Plus, MFW has a lot as is. This is just something extra and fun. ;) I also like that since my kids range from 9-4 this allows even the youngest to participate and explore without being in "trouble" for touching or messing.

Right now in my Africa box I have stamps (craft store find), I made small flashcards with images of art samples and a large card with the flag & a colorful map, I also have a lion and giraffe plastic animals. We have missionaries in Africa that our church supports so I included those cards. My Antartica box is a little lonely. I have penguins and then a scientist paperdoll. Asia will eventually get tea and chopsticks along with a few other finds. S. America is a bit more tricky. Other than frogs and snakes I am a bit lost. No stamps or postcards from there do I have.

Also it is neat to see the variety of containers used - I have seen some use a mismatch of boxes she had in storage, others have used all matching photo boxes and others have even used old suitcases! Like I mentioned before, my Mom had take/toss flat containers she was using for Christmas cookie storage, but when she decided to buy new she gifted me her old ones. Yay for me! It is always fun to see what others are doing, unfortunately, I don't blog but I will pm you my pinterest info and you can see some of what I have found. Does that explain it better?
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

jasntas

Re: MFW seems like perfect fit... have a few questions

Unread post by jasntas » Thu May 02, 2013 10:36 am

We used homeschoolshare.com quite a bit the year we did ECC. I blogged about our ECC and CTG years including lapbooks and extras we did. No time to keep up with my blog lately but if you'd like to take a look you can click on the link in my signature box below to see our ECC and CTG projects. Start at April 2011. ECC was a great year. They have all been great with MFW.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

YVA

Unread post by YVA » Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Tammie, thanks for the blog link, that's very helpful for a newcomer to MWF like me. I laughed when I saw the picture of your children arm wrestling and then the follow up about the thumb wrestling, pretty funny.

I'm thrilled with the flexibility of this program. I was lamenting losing the curriculum we had been using because I thought I would have to give up many of the things I loved about it in the interest of the schedule, but now that I have a teachers manual, I am so pleased to see the booklists, and to see how easy it will be to add some lapbooking time.
Thanks for the help,
Yolanda

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri May 03, 2013 12:27 pm

I did something similar to the continent boxes for each unit of MFW Kindergarten, but not in boxes. I had fun finding little things to go along with each unit... stickers, puzzles, magazine articles, small toys, etc.

I plan to do this for ECC (2014-2015) also. It gives me something "to do" while waiting to start a new curriculum! I spend lots of time at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. and I enjoy looking for stuff to fit a theme.

4monkeys- I have an idea for your Antarctica box! It would be lots of fun to make little Antarctic scenes with plastic penguins.
just look for "Make Your Own Mini Snowman World" at retailers.

The review at the bottom of that page is from me. We loved this stuff and have played with it again since, all from that little packet for less than $5. :) Antarctica needs something fun, right?
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

apearlr

Unread post by apearlr » Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 pm

I will be doing ECC for the first time this year, and the continent boxes sound amazing! An occasional lapbook would be fun, too! Thanks for the ideas.
Anna
Mom and teacher to dd12, ds 10, dd 9, ds 4, dd 1.

NJCheryl

Must I have the wall map for ECC?

Unread post by NJCheryl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm

sarah05 wrote:I already ordered placed an order with MFW and realized afterward that I forgot to order the wall map. Does the curriculum actually use that particular map in specific ways? Would the place mat type mat from Adventures work?
Staples and office max sell world wall maps. I like their maps because they are laminated. i think they are around $25, but it is nice to have the laminated map.

ruthamelia

Re: Must I have the wall map for ECC?

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Having both a globe and map was very helpful for learning map concepts the first few weeks of ECC- hold them side by side to see the distortions of northern and southern latitudes on a flat as opposed to round representation.

I would advocate for having a large wall map instead of just a placemat size map. Having the map on the wall all year was great reinforcement outside of school time. I would randomly see a child gazing at the map in the evening, or brushing up on country locations just before playing the geography game, all easier to do and more likely to happen with a large wall map. It was also easier to have several children gather around the wall map looking at countries, seas, longitude and latitude, etc. than would have been with a smaller map. We finished ECC about 2 months ago, and the map is still up. No reason it has to be the specific map from MFW, I just think it's worthwhile to have a large, current wall map.
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

4monkeyz

Re: Must I have the wall map for ECC?

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:55 am

Last year I got a wall cling map at Menards for $15 - It was a removable, wipeable, uses dry erase map. I think over with the wall clings? Anyway, I stuck it on our table. :) And it lasted all year....I did have to remove it at the end bcs. it had gotten quite beat up, but it worked out really nice. The kids loved looking at it during meals and even my husband was sad it had to come off!! Perhaps another alternative??
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!