Worldview - How does MFW cover slavery, Native Americans,

Julie in MN

Worldview - How does MFW cover slavery, Native Americans,

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:21 am

Up to what year does Adventures cover? and other questio
Renai wrote:Has anyone added to this program? I'm not thinking of buying another whole program, but perhaps a package of books. Would I need a TG, or could I just add the books as I saw fit? I cannot imagine doing two or three separate programs.

A few facts on us: We did MFWK last summer and currently are doing MFW1 this year. We are not interested in doing two years of American History, i.e. MFW is our main curriculum and will continue to be. I am just looking on how to add more depth to these particular subjects as it intimately affects us.

TIA!
Renai
Renai,
I just wanted to respond to your topics, which are topics I also have given quite a bit of thought to.
Renai wrote:I've heard that it is very light when it comes to - for example - Native Americans. Does anyone add to this?
When my public-schooled kids learned about Native American history at a young age, I developed a personal opinion that might go contrary to some.

My opinion is that young kids should meet modern folks of all nationalities first, ideally in their own neighborhoods, or at least on field trips. And then they should learn the history in conjunction with the history of all people. Otherwise they may develop the impression, as my older children did, that only Native Americans have a tribal history, and that Native Americans today are either (a) all dead, or (b) not part of our community -- because they couldn't possibly wear modern clothing or work at regular jobs.

Renai wrote: How does it cover the topic of slavery, if at all? I've heard nothing on that subject so far.
I appreciate that MFW does not introduce young children to a lot of the sinfulness of man until after they have thoroughly immersed them in God's love for the world and His plan for salvation (in ECC).

After that, MFW starts at the beginning with the fall of man, and heads through all of history, including the spread of people across the earth, as well as many instances of man's sinfulness, although I haven't gotten to slavery in America so I'm not sure what is covered.

I do know that children need a certain maturity to understand the sequence of time. And MFW has allowed my son to slowly absorb mankind's successes and failures, while trying to see them through God's eyes and hold them up against the example that Jesus set. Hopefully by the time ds gets to modern history, he will be able to reflect on how the past still influences the present, as well as how the lessons of history apply directly to him and his citizenship in God's kingdom.

Perhaps more than you wanted to discuss, thank you for listening to a couple of my own thoughts tonight,
Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Renai

Unread post by Renai » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 am

I had more to my original question, but took it out bc I thought it irrevelant. Now I see it may be. We live in New Mexico, dh is Mexican Indian, so we live in the midst of a strong Native American culture (including some of my friends). Also, I'm African American, and along with dh's background, dd has heard some about slavery, and hears about injustices in the world (we've seen Men of Honor on the Spanish station a couple of times, for example, as well as current injustices).

As this is my only kid, I guess I'm just unsure of how much, or how far we really need to go. I was drawn to this curriculum last year bc of ECC. Then saw the one year American History and really liked it. To be honest, I don't know what got me thinking it might not be enough. I think someone's statement that it was very Pilgrim-centered in the beginning and they added in the Native American focus??

Oh, well. I've already ordered Adventures, and will look through it before considering "supplementing". I guess anything I think needs to be added could just go in book basket anyway as someone else suggested to me. (For example, I know I'll have to get info on Cesar Chavez, as he is a New Mexican staple from K on up, lol.)

Can't wait till I get it!!! (This is the earliest I've EVER ordered next year's curriculum!)

Thanks again,
Renai

editing to address the end part of your post: It makes a lot of sense. Even MFW1 talks about slavery (of the Israelites) without getting gory, and how God delivered them.
Last edited by Renai on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renai
Wife to Enrique
Mom of two dd- 9/99 & 1/11

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12
2013-2014 dual-language charter
2014-2015 MFW Ancients/young'un- MFW preschool, reading books

http://creativeplaybilingual.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:28 am

Another thing to easily add in is FIELD TRIPS! Just look for things that add local interest.

And don't forget restaurants --- nothing like understanding any culture by eating the foods with it. I live in a university town. We have all kinds of restaurants. Oh wait.... this isn't a thread about ECC, sorry. never mind.

take a look at the table of contents in ADV. here's a link http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/advsample.pdf

I don't think that one week on Pilgrims (week 5) seems heavy or very "pilgrim centered curriculum", especially since week 3 you have Jamestown and Pocahontas, and week 4 is only an overview of native american groups across the continental US. Week 6, you've moved on past the 1620's and the Pilgrims. you are not going to get bogged down in a unit study on Pilgrims with ADV.

Maybe that will help with your planning a bit until you get the TM.

--crystal

Renai

Unread post by Renai » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:40 am

Crystal,
Actually, this does apply! We have plenty of Pueblo feasts in our area. One of my friends (bilingual English/Keres) even gave us a special invitation I'll need to take her up on.

I think I'm worrying too much.

Renai
Renai
Wife to Enrique

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:02 am

Renai,
Wow, what a treasure of learning opportunities you are immersed in! As you come to conclusions in teaching your child, please share with us what you learn as a teacher. I think we all seek to present these things to our children as Jesus would have us do.

And I agree -- field trips are an excellent tool for bringing history alive.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rachel

Unread post by rachel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:46 am

OK, I know that this movie is for the older child, maybe much older depending on how you look at it- but just to stick in here- We saw "Amazing Grace" and loved it- for those of you looking for a clean (from what I remember- I don't like recommending movies but I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it had a very REAL way of addressing the horrific injustic of slavery and at the same time the grace of God...).

Of course, I would always recommend seeing the movie yourself before sharing with a child.

There are movies like this that I make a note of to supplement teaching in some areas for some day when my children are older.

Just an FWI!
Rachel
Currently using MFW K/1 and ADV with daughter (2000); 3 Sons (2001, 2003-twins); and baby girl (2007)

Renai

Unread post by Renai » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:41 am

Julie in MN wrote:Renai,
As you come to conclusions in teaching your child, please share with us what you learn as a teacher.
Julie, I love that you said this, and it's been turning over in my heart and mind since you've written it.
Renai
Renai
Wife to Enrique

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:29 pm

My son was very interested in Native Americans, so we spent about 3 weeks studying them before moving on (in Adv.). I just looked for books at the library. I also made up a chart for him to fill out. On it he listed the various groups, where they lived, what types of homes they lived in, their main foods, something unique to them, etc. Of course, that was based on their history. Then I also found books on the various groups that pertained to some of their lives now and how they keep their heritage alive. So that brought it all into the present (so son wasn't picturing that they still lived in wig-wams or such).

I don't know if that helps at all, but that's just what we did and my son enjoyed it.

Dee