Singapore - Errors in books / Errata lists

Julie in MN

Singapore - Errors in books / Errata lists

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Try this list of errata. Jennifer Hoerst (author of the Home Instructor Guides) also graciously answers e-mail when you find something not listed.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/errata/
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
shellie

Unread post by shellie »

Thank you, Julie! I have been using the answer key for 1B-3B and I have found mistakes in the answer key. I've bookmarked that site so I can check back when my answer differs from the key's. ^__^
cbollin

Singapore Math question

Unread post by cbollin »

Winkie wrote:I need a little help. :~ Textbook 4A, page 18, Practice 1A, problem 8c. Round off each number to the nearest hundred and then estimate the value of 3948+208. My ds gets 4100 for the answer and I agree with him, but my Answer Key says 4200. Who is right?

The website for Singapore errata only lists the 2008 printing of the Answer Key, while I have one with a 2003 copyright.
With estimates, don't get too worried on it. yeah, typos happen on little stuff.

b/c it's 3900 + 200

my 2003 edition had it wrong on the answer too. I know I didn't even look at the answer key when we did those problems.
-crystal
Amy C.

Re: Singapore Math question

Unread post by Amy C. »

We have found some errors in the answer key book. When there is a discrepancy between the answer my child gets and the answer in the book, I check over his work. Sometimes he is wrong and we work through it so he can see where he missed the problem. But sometimes he is correct and the answer key is wrong so I tell him that the answer key has the wrong answer and that he actually got it right. The only problem is that now every time he gets a different answer than the answer key, he thinks the answer key is wrong. We still look over his work, though, to make sure.

Amy C.
Winkie

Unread post by Winkie »

Thanks ladies! I was feeling a bit brain-dead that day to solve the problem myself. Probably why I use the Answer Key most of the time to check their answers ;) Besides I find it much faster to skim a column of numbers than to think through the math myself, even when it's easy. I have caught a few mistakes here and there in the Answer Key but I don't think it's rampant. I do write the correct answer in the key, for when my next student comes through that level.
Amy C. wrote:The only problem is that now every time he gets a different answer than the answer key, he thinks the answer key is wrong.
Funny - my ds is the same way.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)
jasntas

Unread post by jasntas »

I have used the few times I have found mistakes as moments to show my ds that everyone makes mistakes sometimes. He is easily discouraged when he makes mistakes so I look for these types of opportunities. I do correct the errors when I find them b/c I don't think my dd will have the same problem. (She sometimes needs a dose of humility. :~ ) BTW, my ds has grown quite a bit more confident this past year since he has been out of ps. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.