Schedule - Can't seem to fit it all in! Sick days,

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Carol Skinner

Schedule - Can't seem to fit it all in! Sick days,

Unread post by Carol Skinner » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:26 pm

TommyGirl wrote:I went back and read through the Hazells article again entitled "Help! How Do I Fit Everything In?" I would love to move through things as quickly as they do, but I don't see how that happens in reality.

For instance, math is scheduled for 40 mins. in the morning. But, if you have three children and they are all on different levels in math and you have to teach them each a lesson and then they have to do the lesson, how do you do all that in 40 minutes? How do you do the same thing with English in 20-30 minutes?

I would love to hear back how some of you teach to your multiple ages and how long it takes and how you order your days so that it all flows in a manageable way. Our days are not going badly right now, but I would like to improve if I can and still feel like they are all getting the individual attention and teaching that they need.
Hi, there! My heart is with you! This is how I am "currently" handling my 3 at different levels:

First, for spelling, writing, english,etc., I have given them the go ahead to work independently while I rotate spelling. So, while I am giving a spelling test to my oldest, the other two are working independently on english, or writing, or foreign language. And then we switch. If questions come up, especially for the youngest, an older sister can help.

Second, for math we all do math at the same time for 45 minutes. I started the younger one, teaching the lesson and get her going on her exercises, then the next and then the next. While they wait for me, they can practice fact cards and other drill sheets until I am ready. Once we got going, the older girls liked being independently working and reading the lesson to themselves. I go over their exercises when they are done.

Lastly, I can not seem to get my family going at 8am. Even though my dh and I are up at 5am, my girls can't move fast in the am. So I have them get their chores done and practice the piano in the morning and we take a walk together by 9:30am and at 10am they are ready to start school. To them they feel they have had a chance to see God's creation and have some creative time (piano) before school even starts!

Well , I have gone on, but I understand what you feel and I have changed our "schedule" more times than I can count. Hope this helps
Wife of David for 11 years, mother of Courtney(10), Hannah(9), Rachel(7), Mary(4), Rebekah(2),and one on the way!!;MFW RtR this year

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:22 am

Oh, the universal struggle...

And, not only does the struggle exist in our family, it exists INSIDE me. On one hand, I want everything done quickly and efficiently. On the other hand, I really want them to be able to go outside for a break (so they are fresher when they come back in) or get absorbed in something (because I just know that those are the times they are learning the most!).

In our house, we try to all sit down together for BIble and history reading (sometimes science, sometimes music via CDs, sometimes art) together at about 8:30 or so. We do all the "unit" stuff then.

Then I turn the older three (ages 8, 10, 12) loose. Using Edu-Track, I print out weekly checklists of what they are to do each day (the method of using a white board described in the MFW TMs is equally effective). They (theoretically) work independently while I work with the 6 year old at the dining room table. They can tell me that they need me and I end up floating back and forth. They can choose the order of their work. I constantly remind them that they need to keep working and to "do the hard stuff first." I also suggest breaks as needed (if I see one glossing over, then it's time for a jump on the trampoline).

It doesn't always run smoothly. I wish it did. Two of my older ones are extremely distractible so I am constantly looking over. Sigh.

At night when my dh comes home, he checks the check-off lists. There have been times that kids that have finished for the day get an outing with dad for ice cream while I stay home with the straggler(s).

It's not perfect, but it usually gets things done. And, the kids are (SLOWLY) learning to manage their time.

It IS hard to get it all done...
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:29 am

I could say a lot but aren't we glad we do not have a 6 hour program to finish everyday.

Whatever program I have used this has always been my challenge -- figuring out the best way to make it work. I think as they get older it does get easier becasuse they do need less instruction and sometimes can read the lesson themselves. I have one do math while the other starts on another independent subject for 15-20 mins., then I have that one do math. Same goes with the other subjects.

I do not think I have been much help but just maybe knowing others have the struggle helps. Also if a child is finished earlier in math or another subject then we move on or take a short break.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

TommyGirl

Thanks for the replies

Unread post by TommyGirl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Internal struggle...is RIGHT, Kelly! That so describes me. I want so much to finish and check things off my list. However, I really want to be able to follow rabbit trails and go deep. That is one of the big reason we homeschool. Oh, wretched woman that I am... :-) But praise be to God who always leads us in triumph!!

Thank you everyone and please keep them coming. It really does help me to hear how others do things. I know we are all so different, but sometimes the way that someone does something really clicks with me and makes a big difference for our family.

Kelly and others, do you not teach a math lesson, but just let them work on it by themselves and then come to you if they have any questions? I do that a lot, but then feel guilty that I'm not using the teacher's guide and actually teaching a lesson to them. I am afraid that it will come back to bite me later when I realize that they weren't really grounded in their understanding of math, but were just spitting out workbook pages. What about LA? The same thing - they just work independently without your guidance or teaching?

I would love to hear others' suggestions and insights as well. Jennifer, do not forget to finish your post!
Tiffini - Mom to Riley (10), Twins Isaac and Eva (7) (currently using ECC, have used 1st Grade and ADV)

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Although, we are currently following Marie's schedule as much as possible, there have been times I have chosen to have a rotating 1/2 hour block with each child. For example, dd12-LA (indep); ds10-piano; dd8-meet with Mom (we go over math concepts, introduce the LA, etc.) Then rotate to new "positions." This has been helpful also when we need someone 1:1 with our dd3...and we put her into a slot.

I have one that has more difficulty in math, another in LA areas, so right now, we simply meet in the afternoon as our "tutoring" can go more than the 1/2-3/4 hour time slot in the morning.

I think Kelly has been peeking into my windows as I have had quite a few not-so-smoothly-running days too. Lately, our science has been suffering as I am finding the Bible/HX so interesting and we run out of day! We have been putting the experiments on Sat. mornings-this works well too.
I want so much to finish and check things off my list. However, I really want to be able to follow rabbit trails and go deep.
David addresses this on one of his tapes...it really spoke to me because I am a huge box-checker! His comment was something along the lines of~Don't get so caught up in the LA and math that we forget our goals for homeschooling. Public schools can teach LA and math but they can't provide what all of what our homeschooling environments can.~ Someone help me if I have butchered that!

Now back to my irregularly and unscheduled stomach flu monitoring and clean-up program:
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:45 pm

TommyGirl wrote:Kelly and others, do you not teach a math lesson, but just let them work on it by themselves and then come to you if they have any questions? I do that a lot, but then feel guilty that I'm not using the teacher's guide and actually teaching a lesson to them. I am afraid that it will come back to bite me later when I realize that they weren't really grounded in their understanding of math, but were just spitting out workbook pages. What about LA? The same thing - they just work independently without your guidance or teaching?
Tiffini,
To answer your math question, yes, I let them work independently, but not TOO independently. Before, I was good about seeing that the work got done, but I got lax on "grading" (aka "checking for mistakes"). Once I went about three weeks and then graded my then-3rd grader and discovered she was doing division ALL WRONG. She was in tears when I told her, but I explained it was all my fault for not keeping up with her. I let her do the wrong thing for too long. Now, I'm committed to checking their books each Friday night. That avoids a lot of grief.

Regardless of what math or LA you use, you don't need to feel guilty. You are doing so much more than the school teachers. There are kids that simply fall through the cracks. Sometimes it is because a kid barely understands and doesn't outright fail. Other times, a kid cheats or copies his friend's homework, or has mom or dad do it for him.

Remember that we are trying to develop independent thinkers, ones who can do their work without lots of our interaction. So, if we teach them and back off then we've done our job. They need to learn to ask questions, to budget their time, etc. And, we need to keep on top of their learning (like I failed to do a few years ago) to make sure they are learning right.

The TMs are great if you need them, but you don't always. They are great for getting you out of a sticky place when a child is stumped, but the TMs I've seen often have a lot of "fluff" that is appropriate for a classroom but not for a homeschool. Also, they are good if you are teaching a subject that you are not comfortable with. I've got a strong math background so when it comes to math, I rarely look over the TMs. I use them for quick checks for answers (quicker than me calculating the answers). If you don't need a TM, then why use it. I usually look mine over now and then to see what is coming up and make a note (often in my child's workbook!) if there is something useful.

I'm talking about math TMs, not my dog-eared, marked-up, highlighted, written-in MFW TM!

No guilt trips! You are doing great.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

TommyGirl

Unread post by TommyGirl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:05 pm

Thanks, Kelly, for taking the time to write all that. I know what you say about the TMs is true, but it really helps to hear someone say it to me. I keep wondering why I have all these TMs that I never use. Hopefully, I can resell them to someone who will use them! My kids do work mostly independently and I need to be thankful for that - not forcing them to rely on me more!
Tiffini - Mom to Riley (10), Twins Isaac and Eva (7) (currently using ECC, have used 1st Grade and ADV)

ElaineTX

Thoughts...

Unread post by ElaineTX » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:07 am

I do a lot of what the others are saying -- rotating kids through time with me/independent work. My kids are 4th, 2nd, and 2 yo. Based on my reading of Managers of Their Homes (www.titus2.com) a few years ago, I wrote out a daily schedule for our school & chore times that included a column for each of us. (The times are in the left column and the schedule shows what each of us do at each time.) I can't say that I follow this to a "T," but it helped me to think through the possibilities.

I started by making a list of what each child needed me to do with them -- math lessons, etc. Then, I made a list of what each child could do without me -- handwriting page, piano practice, independent reading, chores, math drill program, etc. Also included here was thinking through what needed to be done while my youngest is napping (so much fewer distractions). You can probably see that thinking through these lists is beneficial in itself.

Next, I made a list (and approximate times) for everything I needed to do in a day. It was very helpful for me to think through this -- my first list totaled well OVER 24 hours for the day! No wonder I was unable to accomplish all I wanted to do! I revised it until I had a realistic list that fit into the day and accomplished my priorities. (Some things dropped off and I realized that others could be combined -- multi-tasking.) (BTW, this is also when you find that you have been spending too much time online -- eek!)

From here, I filled in the schedule columns (showing what everyone would be doing at each timeslot), beginning with myself. (There is only 1 of you -- what is the most important thing for you to be doing at each time?) Once I determined who I would be working with at the various times and when I would need to stop to make lunch, etc., I filled in the kid columns. The above steps are helpful on their own, but thinking through what the other children could be doing while I'm working with one was very beneficial for me. So, for examples, I work with my oldest (early bird) on math first thing while my 2nd is finishing up reading his Bible and getting dressed and my youngest is playing in her bed. Later, I work with my 2nd dc on math and LA while my oldest is doing her independent work and keeping an eye on my youngest, who is playing in the same room.

I don't worry about staying exactly on schedule, but, when we are trying to basically stick to it, the day goes much better. My oldest loves the schedule and I have to remind her that it is only a guide and that it's ok if we are not exactly on-schedule at every moment!

HTH!

courthart246

Time - Ideas when we can't seem to fit it all in!!!

Unread post by courthart246 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Rives wrote:We are doing ECC this year with my 8 and 6 year old. We seem to be getting to Bible, Math, Spelling, Geography and Read Aloud each day, but have a tough time finding the time to fit Science, Book Basket, or ARt. Any suggestions???
We have taken a different approach with school this year. Friday has become music, art and science day (and spelling test). We do any art and music for the week on that one day. Also any science experiments. (We do regular science reading during the week.)

Doing art and music one day a week has helped us a lot. I always had a hard time getting to it before.

What time do you start in the morning? We start at 9:00. We do school (with some interruptions of course) until 12:00. We have lunch and then we are normally done by 2:00, sometimes earlier.

We do math after lunch as well as the read aloud. I found that math was really dragging down our morning. Doing it after lunch made all the difference in the world for us.

Anyway, this is just how we do things. It is different for every family. Some are earlier risers. Some like to get math done first thing. Just sit down and try to organize a schedule (flexible) that can work for you! Best wishes!
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Here are some ideas:

1. Go ahead and let music (or art or science) or whatever fall behind a bit. Then have an music day (or art day or science day) where you catch up ... and possibly get a day or two ahead.

2. Do the subjects most likely to drag behind first in the day.

3. If you need to, make a a big bookmark that lists the subjects you are to do and you can move right along.

4. Make sure you have all your books, art cards, blank paper, pencils all in one place so you can go from one subject to another.

5. For a few days, pay attention (use a timer and a memo pad?) to how much time your family spends on each subject. Are a couple of subjects way out of line compared to the recommended TM times? What else is gobbling up your time? Are the kids slow at coming when you call them? Are they spending forever in the bathroom (my kids do that)? Do they have a hard time staying on task? Do they sit down at the piano but don't put their hands on the keys?

6. Do the kids have a few scheduled breaks. I find that our day drags on on days that we don't have a 15 or 20 minute "run around in the backyard" break.

HTH

Rives

Unread post by Rives » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:43 pm

I think I do need to loosen up and have a few more scheduled breaks to give us a breather!!! Also saving art/science/music for a Friday sounds good to me. I think ECC seems to be a bit more time consuming than previous years, as I guess it should be as they are getting older. Math after lunch is a good option -- we may try that tomorrow. Thanks so much for your responses.
Mother to Rosemary 8, Stuart 6, and Dorothy 4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi Rives,
A couple of things you probably know but I want to remind you:

1. The first two weeks of ECC are "general geography" and are busier than the rest of the year. Then you do the U.S. -- lots of info there, too. Once you get to Brazil, ECC should settle into a comfortable pattern, with plenty of time to delve into your favorite parts of each continent.

2. If your oldest is 8, don't try to cement EVERYTHING into her this year! She can do ECC again before high school!

Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi Rives,

You have some good suggestions so far.

Generally also science will not be everyday so it would be easy to add on to Friday.

A note about younger siblings in ECC or any of the 5 year cycle: Do remember that ECC is for 3rd and up. Now you know why Adventures was created !:) It is fine to have your first graders to join in where they are interested like in science or some of the cool geography books and activities, but ECC is not a first grade program.

ECC is a 3-4 hour day where as the first grade is only 1-2 hours a day. Most first graders or 6 years olds are just not ready for that much school time yet. This is also why special complete programs were written for first graders. So do not be to concerned about your 6 year old. In time they will do ECC fully when they are ready to take in more information.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:52 am

I think what is helping us move through things more quickly now is me personally going over EVERTHING we will be doing the night before. This helps me get and idea of what (subjects/lessons)will blend nicely together and prepare my own thinking so when the reading is a bit over their heads, it's already in my own mind to translate. Basicly just understand what it is you will actually be teaching and teach it in your own way....

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:51 am

A couple of more thoughts.

Remember that any year done by a 2nd or 3rd grader will be repeated again in 7th or 8th grade. So if they do not get it all now it is o.k.

Also the first 2 weeks is an introduction but some of these concepts like direction and hemishperes will be reviewed all year. The rest of the year will not be so concept-based but more information on the different countries you will study throughout the year.

Also remember that the many books listed for book basket are to enrich and help further the understanding of the ideas, information or concepts that are being given through the main text provided. It takes seeing and hearing things in different ways to begin to grasp certain concepts. So do not forget to add those to your daily study and possibly even read aloud some of those books as well.

If the biographies seem too much, you will find that Hero Tales will be a great resource for learning about missionaries as well. My 2nd grader enjoyed most of the biographies even if he did not understand everything, and now he can easily read these as a 7th grader on his own and take in much more of the meaning. I think the first one about Cameron Townsend is a bit slower than some of the others as well to begin with. So give the others a try as well.

Just some thoughts from our experience.
Lucy

niki

Unread post by niki » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:19 pm

We are reading Cameron Townsend right now to my 9 and 7 year olds. I'm certain that some of what I read goes in one ear and out the other! While I'm reading they color, play with little figures (horses, dinos, or whatever). At times they ask questions that show me they are listening, for eg. "what does that word mean?" Other times, I ask them questions to see if they're getting the jist of it.

I just like sitting there while they play and read this wonderful story to them...the seeds are being planted and God is good.

We get behind, then we catch up on throughout the year with read alouds, and other things.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

caod

Adjusting

Unread post by caod » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:40 am

I have learned that if a subject is going past the 20-30 minute range we shut it down, even if we are not finished with what I had planned. (Not that I am a great planner). I take that advice partly from David Hazell who I remember saying 20 minutes per lesson and then move on. I think MFW is designed that way but our ambitious natures put a little more into it than necessary.

Notebooking and writing out something is done once a week per subject. Language can definitely bog us down. If that happens I start doing the writing and move to the oral mode and try to get a perspective on the point we are trying to get to for the day. Just today I realized that dd had done a ton of writing and she was starting to get frustrated. We started doing her lesson orally and I scratched one of the things she was to do and you could see her immediately relax. Now I know I need to let her have a couple of days to finish what was "assigned". Adjust Adjust Adjust.

I don't know that that makes sense. Do call the office for advice. Don't be afraid to set the timer and move on. Taking too long on something burns everybody out.

Mommyto2

Unread post by Mommyto2 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:38 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:59 am

Kitchen timer. We live by it. Now many things get done in less than the 15 minutes per subject.

2nd thing. I learned that my son just doesn't think LA in the morning. We moved it all to after lunch and now he can get it done in the allotted time.

I am now considering making Thursday project day because they are tired from Awana on Wednesday nights and just aren't up for a day of hard core materials. I let them sleep in and start later and then we just do what we do.

This is why we homeschool. Consider taking longer for each "week". You don't have to "go to school" just M-F and Sept through May.

Hope this helps.

scmlg

Unread post by scmlg » Thu May 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Jenneve wrote:I don't want to cheat my boys out of a good education by skipping things that are necessary. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to fit more in our day as well as what we should make it a point to do each day/week.
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:52 pm

We do all our read aloud books and even the book basket time at bedtime. They are just in the bedtime routine. They love the reading time with mom or dad, and then I don't have to try and fit them in to the day at all.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:03 am

You're not messing it up. ;o)

First, I agree with Crystal that your 8yo shouldn't be doing the advanced assignments. Those are intended for students who really are advanced, older, and want/need more work. Certainly not necessary for an 8yo.

Second, what are you using for the 3 R's? Could some of that be making your day longer than it needs to be?

What time are you getting started in the morning? How many lunch, potty, and recess breaks do you take throughout the day? Maybe you're not really doing "school" as long as you think you are, kwim?

Is your 6yo doing okay with learning to read? Are you using the phonics portion of MFW K with him?

If he's getting some of the Bible and science stuff with older brother in ECC, then don't worry about the science in K. That's how it works with multi-level family teaching, aside from the 3 R's... youngers "tag along" with the olders. Some folks do manage to complete a *whole* separate program with a younger child, but not at our house.

Yes, our children are individuals, but they're part of a family, too. Sounds like things are going quite well over there!

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:37 pm

mikesherry wrote:I think I should plan to have school and only do school. If more allows than that would be an unexpected blessing. Maybe we could do house chores before we start school and all work together. How do you balance everything? (chores, cleaning, cooking, schooling)
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:39 pm

You asked about how you get it all in. Chores, laundry, dinner, appointments. Here is what we do. (please realize I have 2 special needs kids so this may not work for you)

1. We spend 10-15 minutes doing a subject. I use a timer. If dd gets done earlier, I add what time is left to her short break time. SO 10 min break plus if finished early she gets more time. Then usually 10 minutes on a chore (dc have chores, with sticker charts and rewards). Then we do 10 more minutes of school. DC doing chores really help get everything done. I work 20 hrs a week or more outside the home and things would not get done otherwise. Not the only reason they do chores (like teaches responsibility, how to clean, take care of themselves).

2. My dc are somewhat trained on their chores so I am able to do something else while they do there chore. Helps get things done

3. Sometimes during the breaks I am with them doing something other times daddy does his chores, Make phone calls.

4. Except on the weekend I do not check email or this site but once a day. Usually during quiet time. Sometimes at night I will check e-mail. but no more then 2 times a day.

5. Oh yeah it's ok if the house is not perfect or dinner is not on time or whatever happens and you don't do school one day.

6. Use a planner. Have a master to do list and transfer it to your daily planner. Don't do whole jobs like if you have a lot of things to file you will get overwhelmed and not do it. So write down in planner 10 mins filing.

7. Also thing that help and save time is plan your weekly menu so that your not spending time figuring out what to have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This also helps with grocery shopping and keeping the bills down.

Now I am getting off topic and on a soap box. SO sorry. I hope something helps.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 pm

mgardenh wrote:7. Also thing that help and save time is plan your weekly menu so that your not spending time figuring out what to have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This also helps with grocery shopping and keeping the bills down.
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:07 am

I wanted to suggest a site for help with menu planning... (given various allergies and food intolerances out there, it may not fit everyone.)

www.menus4moms.com (dads can use it too of course, my dh grabs the list and off to the store. my oldest can cook many of the recipes on her own these days. she's 12)

It has a free version, a paid version of dinner menus and a nice list for breakfast/dinner. My oldest likes to check the menu and the recipe and helps with cooking. And if anyone is using Angel Food ministry boxes, Mary Ann even has an option menu plan for that. I wanted to mention that in case it would help someone.

Menus4moms site even has a daily cleaning task to help get some of the regular cleaning task done. Or it did.... maybe I should check the site again in case Mary Ann is updating it. :) It helped us build some extra cleaning routines into the day when we were using it.

I get done what we get done because I'm using other checklists that are already out there.

-crystal

LizCT

Scheduling School During Busy Weeks?

Unread post by LizCT » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:03 pm

amylynn12 wrote:I was wondering how you all balance school with appointments and other activities when you have a busy week? Also, I can't seem to balance chores/housework, meal planning, etc. :(

I would love to hear how you all get school done during those "crazy" weeks.
Thanks so much for any ideas. :)
Some weeks are definitely busier than others. During those types of days or weeks, I maintain the goal of covering our 3 R's each day and spending extra time during a less busy day on subjects we did not cover. For example, we will focus on our geography work one afternoon, science another, etc. My kids are 9 and 6 - using ECC and 1st grade.

I don't know if it's wanting things to be just right that has you waiting, but you can always start slowly and do more on days when you can. I found that in ECC, MFW suggests easing into subjects - staggering the weeks when different things are started.

Liz
Liz in CT
dd8 completed MFW 1st, Adventures, now in ECC
dd6 completed K, now in MFW 1st

jamesandjennie

Unread post by jamesandjennie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:21 am

On crazy busy days, I have my 11yo son do just a few subjects. Maybe just English and science, maybe only MFW, maybe math and catching up on a project or paper...

Just do *something*- move forward even if it is only a little bit. We aren't confined to the public school calendar, so do what works for you. :)
Jenn, wife to James and mom to:
Trent, 6th doing CtG
Gavin, K doing MFWK
Abbie, 3.5yo tagging along with MFWK just for fun
Carolyn, 2yo, who scribbles in my lap the whole time. :)
and Baby Girl due in October

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:35 am

Julie in MN wrote:I try to schedule outside stuff in the afternoon. Would that work?
I'm with Julie on this one... While it may be convenient to say, "Oh, schedule us anytime," I specifically say, "After 2:30pm, please." That frees up mornings to get the most of it done, and allows me to find a sitter if necessary. If someone wants to meet in the morning, I just say, "Sorry, mornings are out for us." The rare exception - very early. My dentist will take us at 7:30am - that way my dh can stay with the kids when I go get my teeth cleaned and I won't need to find someone to watch the kids.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog