Readiness for K - Waiting on a Reluctant Learner

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
Julie in MN

Readiness for K - Waiting on a Reluctant Learner

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:10 am

vickie wrote:I have tried MFWK with my son who turned 5 at the end of October. He wants nothing to do with "ABC's". He just wants to do his own thing and play. He sees his brother doing ECC and is upset because he cannot play with him. I have tried to include him in everything we do, but he wants nothing to do with "school".

I was thinking of trying again in January, but if he is not interested should I just hold off and just read and play games with him?

Thanks for your replies.
Exasperated mom in Iowa
Vickie,
I have not done MFW-K, but I just wanted to mention that many boys wait until age 6 to start schooling. Sitting still, writing, and even coloring are still challenging to my active, just-turned-9.

My 3 kids all started kindergarten after age 5-1/2 (at the public school). (They were between 5 years 8 months, and 6 years 2 months to be exact LOL!). By then I felt they were ready for an hour or two of structure in their day, and for emotionally handling things that didn't go their way!

Just a thought,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Help with Kindergarten Reading

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 am

bachmayer wrote:We are using MFW K and so far my daughter is not catching on to the reading. We are in lesson 10. My daughter is 6 1/2. I also have a 4 1/2 year old who is doing great with the reading in MFW K. Any suggestions? Susan
Is your 6 1/2 a very active kid? My dd was (still is, but she can sit still much more now). We would review sounds and blends while she was swinging, or jumping on the jogging trampoline, or jumping rope. One way we did blends... she would sing, and I would go through the flash cards. After every 5, she would jump off her swing and then run around the yard. (More difficult in the middle of winter, but perfect in fall and spring.)

Or, use Masking Tape on the floor, and have her jump from letter to letter, saying the sounds.

Or, this is a fun one (heard this one from a friend): get a box of old business cards (or 3 x 5 cards) and write the letters or blends on each and draw a fly over each letter/blend. Spread them out on the floor, call out a sound, and they go find and swat the appropriate letter/blend. Or just call out the letter.

I've heard many testimonies of kids that don't read until 8 or 10. Then it finally clicks, and they go from reading nothing to grade level in 6 months or less.

-Trish

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:53 pm

shawnswife wrote:I will be starting Adv in July with my seven and eight year old dds and my ds will be in K.

As for the K student worksheets, I just don't know if they would hold his interest and I fear they would turn into a struggle. should I just let him do them whenever he "feels like it" or is it important to teach him consistency with them? I know there are many people who believe that a curriculum is not necessary for K, and I wonder if I should wait until "first grade" to try anything formal. He knows all his letters and sounds and can read some three letter words. He also does pretty good with adding numbers under 10. So I know he is learning on his own. That's why I'm thinking should I just let him get what he wants from Adv?

Just looking for some guidance. Thanks!
Jennifer F.
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 am

What's nice about the K student worksheets is that it is only 1 per day. 2 maximum on some days. Most of it is very hands on. Some of the worksheets don't require "pencil" either. You can use the Lauri textured letters and finger tracing as part of the multisensory approach. They are some pencil worksheets. And sometimes some of us use stickers, or other things to do some of them.

Now with all of that said, your son may or may not be ready to do K and that's ok.

-crystal

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 pm

I have a 7yr old who still just wants to play, but has been learning that we have time for school and time for play.

One thing to think about is that if some of the K phonics is review for him, it won't take him that long to complete the phonics portions / student sheets of K. So, it's not going to be an all day thing for him.

Do you already have the K teacher's manual? If you do, then it would be easy to just get another set of student sheets and have them available for when he is ready. If you don't have the TM, I think you would need it, even just for the phonics/reading portion of K because it includes other activities besides the student worksheets. Some songs, games, tactile activities, blend ladder activities, etc. But even with these activities in the yellow page section, it won't take more than 20-30 min.

I really like the Bible/science/activities portion of K, too. But, you could certainly do what fits into your schedule with Adventures. Maybe it is just the Bible lesson and learning the words to remember and reading a couple of books on the topic throughout that unit if you can't fit in all of the activities. Maybe you can just pick 2 activities each week. I still think that much of K would be a benefit because it is so good for character development and science. My ds now wants to be a "zookeeper" and I think it's because of doing K last year and revisiting it this year with his sister. We will be doing Adventures next year, too!

Just some thoughts!
Rachel

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:38 am

As far as getting a child used to doing school, for me the key is having a time frame that is "school" every day. Your child may have to get over it once, but after that, it's always the same.

At first, "school" could be all fun & games, but still it's a specific time with organized learning activities under mom's guidance. Gradually you could add in more structured learning tasks.

But the goal is to have the child expect to set aside a certain time daily for school, before dealing with what tasks will be done within that time frame.

Just my experience with a busy boy,
Julie

MammaBear

Re: help with K

Unread post by MammaBear » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 am

arizonamommaof1 wrote:I am stuck in a pattern I need your help getting out of. I purchased MFWK for my ds5 and promptly started the day he turned five. It became clear that he was not getting it, so I put the curriculum away. Between then and now(8 months latter) I purchased another LA curriculum and a Phonics program and have been going back and forth and mixing up to four different programs trying to find the "perfect fit" for my ds. I am now completely confused(not to mention my son).

My question is: Do I start MFWK over with my son(we made it to Unit 6) now or wait until he is 6? He still resists writing/blending even though he can do the work when he tries. He also now can "hear" beginning/ending sounds where as in the beginning he could not. Ask me for any more detail you might need to help me out!

Wendy
dh(married 15 years)
ds5
Personally, I would stop all phonics and Language arts for a while (a few weeks at least) and just read to him. Read lots of books. Than pick up MFW K and start at the beginning. That is just my 2 cents.
Mamma Bear to 4dc - 12yos, 10yodd, 8yodd, 5yodd
Used K, Adv, and ECC, skipped CTG, using RTR now.
Also use FIAR

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:22 am

I agree with mammabear to just make learning fun for a while. What seems ridiculously simple to us as adults is really a big leap for a young mind, from concrete to abstract.

Even if you wait until he's 6, I want to assure you that it will be okay. My oldest was 6 years 2 months old when he started (public) K, and he is 24 now and doing well. There were a few times over the years that he complained about being old for his grade, but he always learned easily and had friends in lots of grades and went into things with more maturity than most (of course he did - he was older!).
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:29 am

Agreeing with the rest of the ladies to stop and just do learning games and then start anew after a summer break. I have found some of my kids biggest understanding leaps have come in a break. I think maybe their brains need a little time to process all the info that we pump into them and when they have that break something finally clicks. I think the Leap Frog videos and games can be a big help in that as well because it's so fun that they want to play them and they learn as well on their own.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

kugoi

Unread post by kugoi » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 am

Yup, give it a break for a while. I had my ds blending sounds at 4 years old and then he suddenly refused to do anything with letters. Since he was so young I was able to take a looong break and when we started MFW a little after he turned 5 he was much more excited. I think we've been at it for about a year now, and still only on unit 19 because of morning sickness and a new baby, but he's still excited about learning to read. He actually can't wait until we start 1st grade because he knows he'll be able to read "anything" when we're done. So give your son a break with letters, for a while. As for if you should start at the beginning again, only you can decide that. Even though my ds knew all the letter sounds when we started K, I'm still doing it just as the instructional manual says because I knew it would help him build confidence in his reading ability. He's always been one who wants to know he can do it before he starts, if that makes sense.
Mom of 7, ages 14, 10, 8, 6, 4, 1 and new baby.
Have used K, 1st, Adv, ECC, and CtoG

arizonamommaof1

Unread post by arizonamommaof1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Thank you for all responding so quickly. You have confirmed what I knew in my heart. I am so excited to start MFW, but my son is not yet ready. I will test the waters again after a nice long break. I love this board! I am always encouraged here. Thank you!