History - Add in another spine?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
cbollin

History - Add in another spine?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:55 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote: I was wondering if it would be doable to add in another history spine to this program or would it be too much? There is one that I would really like to use. Would love to hear your thoughts on adding this in.
Couldn't it just be a permanent part of book basket when you do CTG? And if you see some cool and fun activity and you have time to add it, then you can if you want. I'd probably skip things along the lines of quizzes and such. That's just me.

CTG uses the Bible as a main source text (i.e. spine). Victory Journey through the Bible provides good background information for the readings.

-crystal

LizCT

Unread post by LizCT » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:34 pm

I like Crystal's suggestion. I have that spine on my bookshelf too and would like to have it in our book basket during CTG (two years down the road).

I have to admit that after picking "this and that" in my first several years of homeschooling, and still trying to get to the basics, and not doing very well..... I am so relieved to just be following the MFW suggestions!

With that said, I certainly think that either having something on hand for additional read-alouds (when time allows) or assigning chapters as independent reading for your older child(ren) could be an option.

Liz in CT

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Linda,
I had another history spine (or two) in book basket toward the end of CTG.

However, my ds much preferred the "whole story" from the Bible itself. He felt that reading the summaries of Bible stories was less than adequate :o)

Also, trying to add in this historical figure or that became just more than he wanted to know. I also tried to use it as a review at the end of CTG/beginning of RTR, but again it fizzled compared to what we were studying (we had already had enough of the Romans for us, we were enjoying How The Bible Came To Us, etc.).

But some things you can't know until you try, eh?! Best wishes in your decision.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:22 pm

I have this book. I did not use it when I used CTG. However, when we hit CTG again (I have lots of kids to cycle through.), I had three thoughts.
(1) I would not use it as a replacement for the Bible readings. We really enjoyed that part of CTG.
(2) As Crystal suggested, I might use it as a book basket staple.
(3) Or, I might use it to replace some of the Streams reading assignments. Since I have the Streams book, I could just read it to myself to see exactly what was being covered and then use those areas of the book for the younger set.

However, since I have only thought about this, I cannot tell you if it would work well or not. That's a lot of help, isn't it (smile)!
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

Homeschooling6

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Thank you ladies, as always I really appreciate your advice and in-put =)

Blessings,
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98, Annette 9/99, Caleb 9/00, Brent 10/01, Ethan 1/03, Lance 8/04
Currently using texbooks.

Our Blog http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com