CTG - Weeks 8 & 9

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

CTG - Weeks 8 & 9

Unread post by Marie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Weeks 8 & 9.

Tina

Week 8: Did you like the lentils? More recipis?

Unread post by Tina » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:52 am

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi. We just made out lentil soup (CtG week 8). Did you all like it? It was, well, an earthy taste and I thought they were okay, but the rest of the family, they didn't enjoy them.

I'm glad we made them (ds actually tried them because he saw Esau eat them in a video we got, LOL). I'm hoping that maybe somebody had a nice add in or a favorite recipi. Anyone else prepare them another way that captured the family's taste buds?

cbollin

Lentil soup

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:53 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 am

{blush}
we played with the lentils and bought a can of Progresso Lentil Soup.

--crystal

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:54 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:21 am

My dc didn't like the lentil soup. HOWEVER, I find such experiences to be great lessons: "imagine that that's your daily food." It helps my kids appreciate things like burgers, pasta, pizza, etc. that they enjoy.

I like the Progresso idea too.

Ariasarias

Lentil soup recipi

Unread post by Ariasarias » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:55 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45 am

have my own version and my family eats lentiils just fine.

Saute carrots(1-2 chopped), onion(1 sm or med) and celery(2-3 stalks) in olive oil. (Honestly, I don't know how much I use)

Add four cups of chicken stock, 1 cup of lentils, 1 cup of brown rice (if you use white rice add it about 1/2 way through or it will be mushy), 1 bay leaf, and one can of stewed tomatoes.

Bring to a boil. Cover and turn to low for 50 minutes. You may need to add more water at some point, depending on how soupy you want it. When it is finished I always add a little lemon juice to taste. This helps bring out some of the yummy flavors.

I have a friend who adds some frozen spinach at some point. It wouldn't get eaten at my house if I did that :).

I promise my children eat this. My husband can't eat enough of it.
I hope you enjoy.

Edited: I have since started adding 1/2 pound light turkey sausage. I slice it and quarter those pieces. I saute this first, then I add the vegetables. When I use sausage, I add more water._________________

Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to Rebecca (2000), Andrea (2003), and Sarah (2005).
Last edited by Ariasarias on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mamaofredheads

Lentil soup recipi

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:56 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:34 am

Our family loves this recipe. I make it in the crockpot & it's super-easy. This is 1 1/2 time the original recipe as 1 recipe is never enough here. :)

2 1/4 C. lentils
10 1/2 C. water
1 medium onion (I use a dash of onion flakes as we don't really like onions)
1 large or 2 medium ribs of celery (I leave this out)
3 large or 2 medium carrots, sliced or diced
2/3 C. Bragg Liquid Aminos (you can purchase this at any health food store & some grocery stores - it makes it yummy!) or 3 T. soy sauce (recipe recommends lite)
6 tsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin seed
1 1/2 T. butter
I usually throw in some dried parsley also.

I usually serve it with cornbread.

Kristinemomof3

Lentil soup recipi

Unread post by Kristinemomof3 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:33 pm

wow, my kids LOVED it, asked for more the next day and then asked for it for lunch today (we just made it this week) I have made another soup that they enjoy and has lentils in it. I'll be making it again, as it's a cheap lunch.

Here's the other soup recipe that I make a lot.
Friendship Soup Mix - Layered Soup Mix In A Jar

1/2 cup dry split peas
1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup dry lentils
1/4 cup dried minced onion
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 cup alphabet macaroni or other small macaroni (can be put in a plastic sandwich bag to make it easier for the recipient to get out of jar )

Additional Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
3 qts. water
1 (28-ozs.) can diced tomatoes, undrained

In a 1-1/2-pint jar, layer the first eight ingredients in the order listed. Seal tightly.

Yield: 1 batch.

Instructions to attach to jar:

Friendship Soup Mix:

To Prepare Soup: Carefully remove macaroni from top of jar and set aside. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add reserved macaroni; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until macaroni, peas, lentils and barley are tender.

Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts)
& Caleb (7-7-01)

caod

Lentils

Unread post by caod » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:24 pm

We have learned to really enjoy red lentils as opposed to the brown lentils. They are much prettier, taste great and aren't quite as mushy. They cook quickly. An onion, a carrot, salt and pepper and whatever other combo you want. Put it over rice or just eat a bowl of it.

Connie

KimR

Lentil soup

Unread post by KimR » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:59 am

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:03 pm

We made ours almost the same way Nicole did. We added carrots, celery,and ham. We also used one chicken broth cube per cup of water. My 11yo ds made it almost entirely by himself. He LOVES to cook! It was delicious!

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:00 am

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:17 pm

I have a lentil recipe my kids LOVE. You can find it at www.allrecipes.com - and it's called Slow cooker lentils and sausage. SO good!

hth!
Amanda

Julie - Staff

Week 8: Timeline Dates for Flood and Babel

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:05 am

mdfriederich wrote:I've procrastinated putting on Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel because I don't know when to date them?! Has anyone found a date that young earth creationists have given to these events?

Thanks,
Diana in IL
Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:23 pm
Posted by: mamaofredheads

I didn't worry about a date. :) I just added it after the previous ones. When you get to the next timeline figure, MFW begins adding the dates for you at the bottom of the figures. I think their idea is that the important thing for our DC to understand is where it falls in history, not necessarily an exact date as there is some controversy about that.

(Just finished week 8 of CTG & love it!!!)

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:53 am
Posted by: Suzq

We do not know the exact date either but we have a book called the Timechart History of the World and they mark the flood at 2348BC. And the first time we studied Old Testament History with Sonlight -- they marked the flood as being 2450BC. Our church is doing an Old Testament survey this fall and they put out a little booklet with a small timeline in it and they put the flood at 2300BC as an approximate date for it. So we decided to do that too.

As for the Tower of Babel the TimeChart book says it was 101 years later 2047BC and my church booklet did not put that on their chart.

I hope this helps you in deciding where to put them on your timeline.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:32 am
Posted by: cbollin

Just agreeing a bit with the other posts. It is more the framework of the timing that is important rather than an exact year for many of these early historical events. More accurate dates happen later in history and are easier to have a more set year. Even so, calendar methods change and there are always difficulties with conversion methods and trying to find common anchor dates in history.

Personally I don't mind hitting a ballpark figure for events from long ago. Answers in Genesis places the Flood at 2304 BC +/- 11 years if that helps you put a picture on a timeline.

Tina

egyptian painting

Unread post by Tina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 pm

I wanted to share some things that we've been having fun with in this study. We did the egyptian tomb painting, but did it a different way. We poured the plaster of paris to make our "slate" and then dc traced egyptian figures from a book called "Kids can draw ancient egypt". My dd did an egyptian woman and my ds did a pharoh. I liked these better than the drawing in Ancient Egypt. Then they took the tracing paper and put it on their slate and used a nail to "carve" their drawing, then we painted it. It was a lot of fun.

Tina

Meals/costumes from Ancient Egypt & Bible times

Unread post by Tina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:18 pm

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:54 pm

Okay, this one was neat. Last night I made another fish dinner with plain white rice, pita bread, fig cakes (from Ancient Egypt book), cucumbers with yogurt dipping, sweet pickles and olives and plain figs and sparkling apple cider. I also got daring and bought goat cheese, it was an interesting touch. All in all, it was a nice meal.

Oh, also, did any of you make the costumes from Ancient Egypt? We tried the paper wigs. My dd was so good about making them! Instead of black she made a red one and a green one. It looked more like...... well....... clown's hair!!! (LOL) (red for her, green for ds) The book directions for costumes seem pretty easy, with the sheet and all. I am not a sewing person. I haven't tried it yet. I don't think I'll be able to do the sandals unless I can get some free rope.

This is fun!

Amy in NC

CTG vocab word - caution

Unread post by Amy in NC » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:50 pm

For those of you doing CTG this year you might want to be aware of a word in (I think) week 8. The root word is philos. The problem word is "philtre" meaing "love potion" according to EFTRU. When we did dictionary time, our dictionary's definition was not so benign.

I let my youngest pick two words to copy each week. She always picks the shortest words and definitions. So of course, 'Love Potion' being very short, was on her list. LOL So we just glazed over the dictionary definition. It worked out in the end. I just wanted to give others a heads up.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

Julie in MN

Farm page alternative

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:40 am

For the week 9 coloring page, my ds chose to make his own page because coloring isn't his favorite. So he typed up a short summary which we called -
  • Homes
    Egypt's Middle Kingdom
    2000 BC
Then we pasted on a photo of the clay home that he had made the day before in CTG. (He put his clay home into our desert biome that we still have from ECC, so the photo looked very authentic! Well, except for the purple clay that he insisted upon using :( )
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Lentil soup

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:38 pm

cbollin wrote:Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 am

{blush}
we played with the lentils and bought a can of Progresso Lentil Soup.

--crystal

wow.. that was then.. this is now :)

Oldest ended up making the soup. it was really good!

-crystal

Kelly1730

CtG timeline question

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 am

RachelT wrote: I was just looking at old threads again on the CtG ideas and archives message boards, but I'm still not sure of the placement of Noah and the flood? According to one of these old threads that sited Answers in Genesis, Noah and the flood occurred around 2300 BC. I also went through the geneology listed in Genesis and came up with the same approximate date. So a few weeks ago we placed Noah around 2300 on our timeline. Here is the link I am talking about.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ine#p27765

Well, now we are studying ancient Egypt and our timeline pieces say "King Menes Unites Upper and Lower Egypt 3100 BC" and "Pyramids in Egypt 2500 BC". So shouldn't Noah be before those pieces if we have written records of them and pyramids that are still standing (because they were built after the flood)? What do you think? What have some of you done?

Rachel
I just put them in order. I put the 3000 BC marker up close to the King Menes (3100BC). It's probably not "official" but it's good enough for us:)
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

MFW-Lucy

Re: CtG timeline question

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 pm

RachelT wrote:Okay,we placed Noah around 2400-2300 BC, which was the best date that we could find when we were studying about him. Now in Week 5, we found that our ancient Egypt pyramid (2500 BC) and King Menes (3100 BC) pieces are labeled with dates prior to that. Now, should we move Noah's piece back before that on our timeline? I guess that's what we will do.
Rachel
Dear Rachel,

My Father's World appreciates the desire that you and others have for the most accurate information possible as you study the Bible as a family. We understand that there are differing opinions and research related to lineages and timelines for Biblical history. We accept that we may never have conclusive information on these subjects. Currently we are choosing to follow the more broadly and traditionally accepted viewpoints. Of course we are open to updating information when we believe new research is conclusive. As a family we trust you to view what we include in our curriculum in the context of other points of view and interpret Biblical history based on your understanding.

If you are more comfortable with the dates you have found, please feel free to change them for your family or place these events differently on your timeline. We recommend using whiteout and writing in the new dates if desired.

Blessings,
Lucy

doubleportion

Re: CtG timeline question

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I've posted a number of pictures of our timeline as we have gone along. We are in week 15 of CTG.

http://quietlyrunningtheracehomeschooli ... xodus.html

Edie

RachelT

Re: CTG - Weeks 8 & 9

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi! We made a lentil stew and did some fun science experiments. We did not get the "Karate Kid" experiment to work well, but for the "egg cup" experiment we used a tea light candle and did not attach it to the pie plate. It rose with the water level and was so fun to watch that we did it a few times! We also enjoyed the animated video about Abraham called "Sodom and Gomorrah" in the Greatest Heroes and Legends of the Bible series, hosted by Charlton Heston. We have several of these videos and they are great!

Here is a link to my blog about Week 8 with a picture of our lentil stew and my daughter's demonstration of how to stand like the Egyptian's drew people, with her head and feet point to the side, but her torso pointing forward.
http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogs ... s-8-9.html

Here is a link to my blog about Week 9 with a picture of the science experiment where we used carbon dioxide to put out a flame and our index card family tree of the Patriarchs.
http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogs ... eek-9.html We also found some notebooking pages for the English From the Roots Up book that have helped with our Greek roots and the information is on this link.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Lentils

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 pm

My ds and his friend have been making this lentil recipe this week and talking about lentils in the Bible. They also liked finding out that lentils have protein, since they're all about becoming strong :) Anyways, since 15 yo boys are finding lentils to be edible, I thought I'd share the recipe.

2 bags of lentils
1 container of salsa about 16 oz

put both in a big pot
cover the mixture with water
simmer for 30 minutes
mix it up

It comes out looking like a big potful of lentils and basically tastes like a cross between a kidney been and a firm pea.
But it's healthy (protein, fiber, vitamins & minerals, fat free) and fun to try!

P.S. I don't know what kind of lentils they were. They were from Target and just said "lentils." They looked kind of greenish-brown?

Julie in MN

Timeline problem in CtG

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

IdahoGrown wrote:Maybe you wise ladies can help me figure this out. I know that there will be differences in dates. But I have an 1800 year difference that I need to figure out.

Page 35 of Streams of Civilizations says that descendants of Ham migrated south and then east. The map shows them travelling to the Nile river area. So supposedly, Ham's descendants were the start of the Egyptian civilization, right?

BUT, according to a timeline I have (based on biblical dating), the flood happened in about 2294 B.C. But King Menes united upper and lower Egypt in about 3100 B.C. The flood would have had to happen BEFORE Menes united Egypt (before 3100 B.C.)and before the great pyramids were built.

Where did you put your early timeline figures on the timeline? I mean the ones without dates like the flood?
Jeanne,
The Pharaohs book used in high school goes into extensive detail about chronology differences, so you'll get all the info eventually ;) They don't pin everything down to a nitty-gritty exact year, but do focus especially on two chronologies that they call "traditional" and "revised."

Egyptian Dynasty One:
Traditional 2920-2770 BC
Revised 21st century BC

To me, their timeline seems to still be in flux and allow for future research? It shows the 1st Dynasty starting just before Babel, yet it has Menes (the 1st king of the 1st dynasty) towards the end of the Babel dispersion. But both are shown after the flood anyways. And they go into great detail about specific archaeological evidence used to support the traditional timeline and why the evidence makes even more sense in this revised timeline.

Julie

cbollin

Wax for optional project CTG WK 8

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:26 pm

jasntas wrote:We will begin CTG week 7 this Monday but I was looking a little ahead into week 8 to see what projects we may do and what materials I may need.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the beeswax we used for ECC could be used to make seals as described in the Pyramids book p.30? The materials needed include modeling wax and the box for the beeswax says modeling beeswax. Would it be the same? I'm probably overthinking this but I like our projects to be successful if possible. :~ ;)
Tammie,
modeling beeswax works easy on this. I still have a box of stockmar in the closet from ecc 3 years ago...
My oldest did the potato. But, I found an object that had raised designs on the handle and used that. If I can find batteries for camera.... It worked. the wax is extra warm from the water so it sealed fast. our designed are imprinted in the wax.

it's easy, well sorta easy for the potato carving, but easy if you have a handle with a raised design on it already :)

batteries charged just enough...
ctg wax.JPG
left: seal, no design. middle: with design from handle. right: relief design from potato stamper
ctg wax.JPG (33.38 KiB) Viewed 10604 times

Tammie or anyone really....
if the relief carving is a bad idea for your family...
one option is to use any kind of stamper
or go to the bakery section at your grocery. get a pack of 6 cupcakes that have little plastic thingy in the center with a raised designed. I was just looking in the kitchen here and saw a cupcake plastic thingy with a leaf imprint. It's done in "relief" style with the designed raised.

now if I just had the desire to make these project blog picture picture..... we make it . move on it life. eh.

-crystal

cbollin

Re: Abraham's Descendants Activity Cards for CTG??

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 pm

jasntas wrote:We made the Abraham's Descendants Activity cards this week (week 9). Will we be using them again later in the year? I guess my questions is, do I need to save them or can I toss them?
I kept mine around just to review as the year went on.

Or would have them nearby to sort and play for a minute.... you know "here honey do this for a minute while I go to the bathroom"

I don't think (?) I remember another place for it in the program.

-crystal

AnnieMarie

Re: Abraham's Descendants Activity Cards for CTG??

Unread post by AnnieMarie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I remember as we went through that part of CTG we had a wall that we put the family tree on, from Abraham all the way to Jesus. We had an interactive thing to do when we read about the different people in the bible, one of my girls would draw a picture and put the name of the ancestor on a sticky note and place it on the tree. It is one of my favorite memories of that year.
AnnieMarie

DD 14 MFWK-1850Mod 2nd cycle ECC CTG AHL
DD 10 MFWK, MFW1, 1850Mod-RTR
DD 5 MFWK, MFW1 ECC-RTR