Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

If you are using Creation to the Greeks, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days in CTG

Unread post by Marie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:27 pm

Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days:
Rosh Hashanah/Feast of Trumpets/Jewish New Year,
the Ten High Holy Days,
Yom Kippur/Day of Atonement,
and Sukkoth/Feast of Tabernacles or Booths

sandi

Feast of Tabernacles

Unread post by sandi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Hello all!
Just wanted to share what an awesome time we had during our feast!!! We were joined by one other family and had a blast. We camped out Friday and Saturday night on the creek bank!

On Saturday everyone helped to bulid the booth. It was made of trees that were small and branches. It was tied together with rope. We hung orange lights around it so it was lite up for our feast that night. We used several things to decorate it we used paperchains,banners, pumpkins,squsah, indian corn, curly ribbon in fall colors, pictures, oranges with whole cloves, It was so beautiful!

The table was also set beautifully! All of the children gathered around for the blessings. For our meal we had chilli, apple pie, challah bread, and grape juice. The eating table was set with fall dishes, squashes, candles, gold glitter, curly ribbon.

After we ate we watched a concert on VHS at the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem. The concert was by Paul Wilbur. Awesome Messianic Jewish music. We got to see Hebrew dance and the blowing of the shofar. After this my husband played the guitar and we sat around the camp fire. The weather was beautiful and the fellowship was awesome! I had really prayed about this feast and the Lord kept us all well, the weather was great and everyone safe! Praise the Lord!

Just had to share, I hope everyone else enjoyed their feast!

Edited to add: I borrowed the video from my aunt. It is called Jerusalem Arise. At the bottom it says live worship with Paul Wilbur from the land of Israel. Maybe if you searched Paul Wilbur you could find it. Well worth the money if you have to buy it!

Suzq

Feast

Unread post by Suzq » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:37 pm

We will be having our final meal tomorrow night. We are having the beef stew, challah, harvest medley and the honey cream with apple crisp for dessert.

We made our sukkah inside with a teepee tent that we own as it is snowing this weekend.

My kids are really enjoying all these feasts so far. We have learned so much about the meanings of the feasts. I never knew all the symbols of it all. It has been very interesting. Loving MFW!
mom to ds(1995) & ds(1998)

"His grace is sufficient"

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:53 pm

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi everyone:

We had our feast of the tabernacles today to close out the week of Sukkoth. It was a great feast. We built a big sukkah in the yard. Dh built the frame and dc and dh put up "sheet" walls, with one wall open, no ceiling. Dd and Nana decorated inside with leaves, branches (some dead flowers too!) and paper decorations hung all inside that dd made. She couldn't resist hanging a real apple from tree that the sukkah was right next to. (Dh actually used the trees as an anchor of the sukkah, he built the sukkah between two close trees)

Our meal consisted of a beef stew, challah, grape juice for wine, honey spread, apples and corn. It was a nice meal. It was a little chilly out there but everyone enjoyed it. The prayer that we did as a family was neat too. My husband opened up with prayer and we, as a family, were able to just praise God for things that we are thankful for. It was nice. The dc enjoyed this kind of prayer as well.

Our dessert was supposed to be some kind of harvest dessert, apple pie or crisp, however, I've made apple crisp/pie so often over the last month that I opted for another dessert (a banana cake, which we didn't eat until much later and not in the sukkah because it was too dark and cold by then).

I think we will remember these feasts forever. I don't know if dc will remember exactly what they meant, but I know that that will remember the special traditions, prayers and family time that we were blessed with.

We are all really enjoying the feasts. I look forward to hearing how others worked out. Thanks Sandi for sharing!

Ps this time around the challah wasn't as hard to do. It was excellent with the honey spread.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:56 pm

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:43 pm

We made our Sukkah out of lumber in the backyard (and we've got a tiny yard, sigh). Then, we went into the nearby woods with our wagon and got some already fallen wood and branches with leaves to make the roof. We used a fabric marker to decorate an old blanket that we nailed to our Sukkah. We at lunch and did some schoolwork in it, although the weather was really cool for enjoying it sitting still for very long. The kids thought it was really neat and our neighbors from behind us (who rarely talk to us) called us on the phone and said, "Hey, that's a sukkah!" Yup! They moved to Colorado (not very Jewish) from a Calif. neighborhood with lots of Jews.

I'd recommend just hitting your lumber heap with some nails and seeing what you can make. No lumber? Then, make a model one inside for your dolls or whatever (would your poodle like a sukkah?).

We enjoyed looking online to see that there are portable sukkahs (rather expensive I remember) that are a lot like nylon camping tents but that have the right openings in the top, etc.

Perhaps you could pitch a tent that has a "moonroof." Our 2-man tent has a mesh screen at the top and then a covering that goes over that to keep rain out. Without the rain covering, it might make a good sukkah.

I cannot emphasize enough ... DON'T SKIP THE FEASTS. It's fine to scale them back, but don't skip them.

Have fun!

Julie in MN

Our inside booth

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 pm

Posted: Oct 2006

Dh & ds started building our booth outside, but it just kept being rainy & cold, so they moved it inside.

They just used some things from our garage. As I recall, the frame was mostly those green sticks that we used for putting garage sale signs on. I think the corners were tied with twine. The rest was sheets. Luckily with one in college, we had some extra sheets around.

I have heard of families on this board using their toddler jungle gym, even :o) All the better for fun memories!

Here's the photo we took -- it looks like we did it after I got home from my tutoring job, dad had been working around the house in the evening, and our 4th grader was in his jammies :) The paper bag was a decoration he made, the coke bottle was our "shofar," and we found some fancy glasses for our grape juice!

Good luck!
Julie
Attachments
feast photo.jpg
feast photo.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 14519 times
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:58 pm

Jim and I were wanting to make the sukkah indoors however space just does not permit it.

Well, my husband got ambitious and he has already built the frame of the sukkah with some lumber he had in the basement. I looked at it from the window and thought it was huge, but then, when you actually sit in it, it really isn't very big, especially if we are going to take a meal in it (I hope it's not too cold next week to do that). Next week we will put the "walls" on with drop clothes (mostly old sheets) and will probably not put a roof on.

If it's cold, maybe instead of having the whole meal out there, we will just have wine (juice) and bread.

My dd has already started to make paper decorations and such for the inside. I hope that they hold up for the feast! (She was truly inspired by the All-of-a-kind family books recommended by MFW. They built a sukkah in their backyard every year. One child was always in charge of decorating it.)

Thanks for the ideas.

Julie - Staff

Rosh Hashanah recipis

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 am

sandi wrote:I need a honey cake frosting recipe.
I know its confectioners sugar and juice, but what kind of juice did you use that was good?
His Child,
Sandi
Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:39 pm by birthblessed
You could use white grape juice for white frosting; purple grape juice would make it rather reddish. Carrot would make a nice orange... so many possibilities! We actually used some fresh squeezed orange juice, and there were little flecks of orange stuff in it. It was wonderful.

Our salmon was fantastic, but I didn't cook a "whole" salmon... that would have been expensive, and I had fresh salmon fillets from a fishing trip my FIL took this summer in Alaska. :)

Everything was wonderful, the kids loved the challah, and we read all the things and did the grape juice and the bread since it was Sabbath *and* Rosh Hashanah...

I even got out my heirloom china which hasn't been out in almost 5 years.

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:00 pm by Tina
I did this tonight and used orange juice as suggested in the biblical feasts book. I ended up baking the cake in two bread (loaf) pans. It was so much like a zucchini or banana bread that I thought that it didn't even need the frosting, but the kids liked the frosting! I hope you enjoyed your feast of trumpets!

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:37 pm by Elissa Baker
We had a great time on our Rosh Hashanah/Sabbath evening ... but as for our honey cake ...
I had everything for our dinner coming together so well. My girls helped me with the honey cake and we put it in the oven in loaf pans. After a little while we went into the livingroom to read-aloud. While reading I started to smell something burning, YES it was the honey cake!! It had raised up so much that it went over the sides of the pans and quite a bit spilled into the bottom of the oven. And the smoke sure billowed out as I opened the oven door!

It was a great "count it all joy" moment. The girls were disappointed, but it was a good time to learn that everything doesn't always go as we plan. My dh went to the store and picked up a glazed lemon cake to substitute. We still had a great evening, and made quite a memory of it!

I'm glad your honey cake turned out so well. I may try it again, but I'll use bigger pans though!

Julie - Staff

Challah bread

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:12 am

sandi wrote:We are preparing to do Rosh Hashanah this weekend. It says to make your Challah bread round. So.... do you just form your dough into a round blob or do you braid it and then make a circle. If you do this won't the inside be hollow? Or do you just go round and round like a snake until it forms a spiral? I know this is a dumb question but I can't figure out how to do this. In the picture it looks like they braided it and put it in a circle like maybe a spiral form after braiding it? Thanks!!!!! I'm a little slow when it comes to creative things after the first time I can get it
His Child,
Sandi
Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:35 pm by birthblessed
Like a wreath, but tight so that the hole in the middle virtually disappears when it rises and bakes.

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:36 pm by kellybell
Actually, whatever you do is terrific (and is more than most of us are doing right now!).

Anyway, the traditional challahs I've seen for Rosh Hashanah are wreath-shaped and braided (so braid a long rope and then make the ends touch).

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:12 pm by Elissa Baker
The way I interpret the author's description is to make it the "blob" way as you described it (only smoothed out , envision a giant hamburger bun). You've probably seen rye or sourdough in round loaves.
Also, we have a children's Jewish holiday book here that shows a round loaf with the ladder on top of it in the Yom Kippur section.

But I agree:
Actually, whatever you do is terrific (and is more than most of us are doing right now!).

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:13 pm by Tina
Sandi: I have to post and confess...........I'm cheating this time around (I did do the bread for the sabbath meal) I'm using a store bought loaf for the feast of trumpets.

I also envisioned this particular loaf to be a "blob" style loaf also, with the ladder placed on top. That's the kind of loaf I am going to use.

Isn't this fun! And, educational!

kellybell

CTG celebrating Rosh Hashanah

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:14 am

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:57 pm

We went to a messianic synagogue tonight and that was some very powerful worship. My kids loved the singing and the dancing and the shofar blowing. Wow...

I found the service to be quite inspiring and interesting. My dc actually didn't wiggle too much (and we were there 3.5 hours). They had a prayer and a reading and then had the children go up front (there were about 3 dozen kids of all ages) and they put a huge covering (like a giant's prayer shawl) over them and sang a sabbath blessing over them. It was really neat. They used the song from Fiddler on the Roof ("May the Lord protect and defend you"). The service continued with lots of singing, dancing, reciting, and lots of shofar blowing. There were eight men with shofars (all on a different pitch) that came up at the end for one final long blast. It was impressive. The girls are clamoring to go next week again for Yom Kippur, which will be more solemn.

Julie in MN

Rosh Hashanah

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 am

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 am

I was trying to muster the courage to bring ds to the messianic synagogue this morning as I had planned (I'm not the sociable sort), and KellyBell's note was just the push I needed (I think you were an answer to prayer about it!).

We went to the morning service & it was probably less well attended than yours, but still very powerful. They had the lengthy preparatory readings, and then the singing & dancing portion, a good sermon on truly giving up your dependence on yourself, and then the shofar/prayers. Several people brought their own shofars, & now ds wants to bring one :o)

"Happy new year!"
Julie

Posted by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:31 pm
We also had great experiences at Messianic services. People didn't seem to notice we were outsiders, and there was lots of dancing, shofar blowing, and the sermon related Christ to the Feasts.

Julie

Julie - Staff

What did you use for a Shofar?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:37 am

Posted Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:21 pm by Julie in MN
For a Shofar, you can use anything that makes a noise, really! A new year's eve blower will do fine. My son blew on the top of a glass Coke bottle & it actually sounded something like a real shofar :o)
Julie
P.S. If you attend a messianic service for any holiday, you will probably see/hear a real shofar. I believe they are made from a goat's horn.
P.S.S. You can buy a shofar at CBD!

Posted Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:56 pm by Tina
I have seen party blowers with a "horn" in the party section at wal-mart. I was thinking of buying a couple of these, and then trying to cover it with the brown paper bag as suggested in the teachers manual. We may attempt to make them.

However, my son is very excited to be able to use his trumpet for our "Feast of Trumpets" celebration. His trumpet will act as our shofar. It gives him a role to play in this celebration that is unique and special. He is very excited to do it! He's only 8 and has never had a trumpet lesson, LOL! He got the trumpet from my brother and has a desire to use it in some way. I'm glad he can because its only been used so far to scare the dog and the toddler! I think its time for lessons!

Posted Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:00 pm by kellybell
We used the party horns from the walmart party section. They sell them in eight-packs as party favors.

Anyway, yes, it's a ram's horn and that reminds us about the ram God provided as a substitute for Isaac when Abraham went to sacrifice him. God also provided us with Jesus.

The bend in the shofar reminds us that we can repent (or change our bent!!) from sins. So, we go one way, we repent, and then we go another way (or at least we should!).

It can't be a cow's horn because that would remind us of the golden calf.

There are lots of instances in the Bible where trumpets are blown. There are silver trumpets and ram's horn trumpets.

During the fall holidays last year, we went to the Messianic temple and it was so nice and meaningful. We told our friends and now we have six families (and a total of about 35 kiddos) going with us on Friday.

kellybell

Honey Loaf Cake

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:39 am

manacah wrote:Has anyone tried the Honey Loaf Cake in "Celebrating Biblical Feasts", and if so, did your family like it? It has coffee in it. Shelley
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:30 am
If you hesitate with the TM recipe, why not do a web search on "honey cake recipe"? We used an old recipe that I had cut out of Family Fun magazine years ago (before homeschooling). It flopped with the kids, but they ate it because it contained refined white flour and refined white sugar (are kids refined from eating that stuff???).

Another option is to call your Jewish neighbor and ask her for her recipe. She'd probably be glad to share. Or is there a Jewish bakery around town? They might be able to help you, even though you are a bit "off season." Hey, that would be a great field trip (we don't have one in our town).

Of course, if you've read my previous posts about parties and fiestas and such, you know that I really like SIMPLE celebrations (ie. store bought egg rolls)...

If I couldn't find a honey cake recipe to try, then I would make a normal Betty Crocker mix cake and then drizzle honey over the top instead of frosting and call it a "honey cake." Or mix honey with the canned frosting and voila, honey cake!

Tricia Croke

Unread post by Tricia Croke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:29 am

We baked challah bread (maybe 2) that we purchased at our local grocery store (located in the frozen food isle).

For the coverings we had two fancy linen napkins that we never used and our two older girls stitched-a cross on one and the star of david on the other. We dressed the table in our "finest china", had grape juice and candles.

I can't remember what I made for dinner but it was a typical dinner (maybe spa & meatballs?) I know we left some things out but I believe we did all the readings and talked about what things symbolized which my husband did as well as the blessings.

It was a great way to have my dh involved and the dc loved it.

Monica M.

Unread post by Monica M. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 am

We are doing ECC this year and I'm really excited to know that we will be going over the Feasts. We belong to a Messianic Jewish Congregation. We celebrate the Biblical feasts and everything points to Jesus (Yeshua). I know that we are all very, very busy I would just like to encourage you chose a feast and experience it.

I would like to mention that Jesus (Yeshua) was born on a feast (Sukkot), died on a feast (Passover) and rose on a feast (First Fruits) and I truly believe He will return on a feast. Rosh HaShanna is the New Year and Shofars are blown. When Jesus (Yeshua) returns what will blow a Shofar. Yom Kippur is this Friday. This is when the High Priest went into the Holy of Holies and ask God forgiveness for the nation of Israel. Praise the Lord we can go to God directly and ask forgiveness. We believe this is the time we stand before God for the account of our lives. The Biblical Feasts are so rich and knowing them really opens up the Bible.
Blessings - Monica M.

Julie in MN

Music

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:15 am

A nice CD for background music (no singing) during the feasts is:
Songs of Zion
Featuring violinist Maurice Skylar
With the National Philharmonic Orchestra of London

The back of the CD says that Maurice Skylar is Jewish and, "It is his desire to bring the arts and classical music back to the glory of God." A bonus is an impression from his listings on utube & such is that he is Messianic.

You can watch Jewish dancing on tangle.com if you find a video of "Paul Wilbur with violinist Maurice Sklar." This is much like what we experienced in the messianic services (well, minus the band) -- very informal & imperfect, drawing in the audience rather than "performing" for them, in an attempt to go back to praising God in song & dance. (You can x out the ads by google at the bottom of the picture.)

See & hear a shofar

If you search tangle.com for "Messianic Dance from the Nations" you will see a real shofar being blown near the beginning. The music on that one seems almost Hispanic, but the shofar is nice.

WikiHow.com actually has more than one video on "how to blow a shofar," so the kids can listen to the sound they're trying to imitate (and see real shofars). I think the videos are just pulled from utube, but on Wiki there won't be all the ads & such.

More Music
I found that searching for Hannukah music brought up the most results for Jewish feasts in general. Even though Hannukah is not technically one of the Biblical feasts, and won't be studied until RTR, you still might find more things by doing a search for Hannukah -- whether it's music or candles or anything Jewish.

A blend of musical styles from ancient to 1900s to 2000s on the CD, Festival of Light, produced by Six Degrees. It might be good for kids who want some modern mixed in, or who enjoy new musical experiences.
Last edited by Julie in MN on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kellybell

Shofar

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:19 am

Another particularly noisy option is a 2-foot or so length of garden hose.

The local messianic synagogue has a bucket of them that they distribute to the children and they "buzz" on them like you would a trumpet or other brass instrument. What a racket that makes. If you have an old garden hose sitting around, cut off the metal ends and then cut into 2-foot lengths and BLOW.

Very fun and festive. But, not really a treat for the eye.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

kellybell

Synagogue Etiquette

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:43 am

Blessed Beth wrote:Has anyone visited a Synagogue for any of your CTG Jewish Feast celebrations? If so, is there anything one should know about dress or etiquette before going? Do you know the difference between reformed and conservative Judaism?
We visited two in Colorado Springs, a Jewish one and a Messianic one. I actually called both of them first as all synogogues have different styles. We wore church clothes to the Jewish synagogue and listened to a sermon (I don't think they're called sermons) about Noah's Ark. The lady I talked to on the phone was most welcoming but she was about the only one. I got the feeling that the congregants thought we were outsiders that didn't really belong there despite the fact that the kids used their manners that night.

At the Messianic synagogue, they were friendlier and some of the songs we knew (and we quickly learned the others). Whereas the first synagogue was very "unemotional" here we had lots of jumping and clapping and even laughing. They were very laid back and the service really started about an hour after the posted start time because they were all talking! They had Davidic dancers that were very nice. We've been back a few times. The folks were dressed in many different ways. Some ladies were in dresses with headcoverings and some were in slacks. Some men had prayer shawls and caps while others had on Harley tee shirts. A very interesting place.

I'd recommend just calling to find out what's the style and what to expect.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

JoyfulDancer

Re: Synagogue Etiquette

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Beth,

Reformed Temples are liberal in their teaching and ideology. They will be fine about having a woman rabbi, or even homosexual leaders. They focus more on community service and discussions of morality, social issues, etc, rather than the Bible or keeping the law. Instruments are allowed in the services, depending on the congregation. Dress could be casual or dressy, also depending on the congregation.

Conservative Synagogues are more traditional in keeping Jewish laws, dress, and leadership, though there are some female rabbis there too. They will focus more on all the traditional Hebrew prayers and more discussion of the Torah (Old Testament). Musical instruments are not used, women will be mostly in dresses. They usually provide little lace doilies for ladies to pin on their hair and yarmulkas and prayer shawls for the men. Much of conservative services will be in Hebrew.

I was raised in Reform and my dh was Conservative, so if there are any other questions you have I'll be happy to answer them. Things to keep in mind are that holiday services can be very long and boring, and the sermons will all be from a strictly OT perspective, or not even close to biblical at all in some cases. Personally I would feel a little more comfortable exposing my children to Conservative rather than Reform. Oh, it may be next to impossible to get into the High Holy Day services (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur). They usually charge very high prices for tickets to these services, or make them part of the yearly dues members have to pay. Other holidays won't be like that. If they are fun holidays like Chanukah or Purim there may be things for the kids to do (on Purim costumes are required).

Personally, I think your best bet is to check out the Messianic congregation. You will get a much better and complete understanding of the holiday from both OT and NT perspective. And by the way, keep in mind that all Messianic congregations vary just as all other churches vary in personality, culture and theology. The one we go to has very good, biblically sound teaching, and it always starts on time!

HTH,
Laurie

courthart246

Honey cake

Unread post by courthart246 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Lainie wrote:I heard from someone else that the honey cake recipe in Celebrating Biblical Feasts book wasn't very tasty (but she did admit to being a "chocolate" person). #1) Has anyone actually tried that recipe and is it good? Does anyone have a recipe that they like for honey cake? Thank you :)
Well, we made the honey cake.... and yes, it wasn't the most tasty cake, but we spiced it up with some homemade frosting, and it tasted delicious! You can probably find a recipe online for the frosting, or I can look it up and give it to you if you'd like. It was really simple and did help the taste of the cake tremendously.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

niki

Re: Honey cake

Unread post by niki » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm

We did the given recipe too...the kids ate it, although it wasn't a favorite. But when it was the only dessert they were happy to have it 2 days in row! :)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

baileymom

Blow your trumpets or party horns!

Unread post by baileymom » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:14 pm

evey wrote:For any of you cool cats that celebrate the feast of trumpets- Rosh HaShanah- happy holiday! Blow your trumpets or party horns!
Evonne
We watched some youtubes of people blowing shofars. we had our carrots for lunch...increasing our blessing. we are having "salmon" patties and apples and honey with dinner :)

brian and i are also going over the meaning etc. with the kids tonight...reading out of Celebrating Biblical Feasts. my inlaws sent football game horns to the kids in the mail last week...truly annoying, but perfect for today, and the next 10, or is it 9 for waking up? also singing happy b'day to the world (globe with b'day hat on) at dinner.

i'm totally improvising...i meant to go the whole 9 yds. but i've had a terrible cold/cough and haven't made it to the grocery. i'm pretty sure the kids will get the point though.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

cbollin

Ideas for scaling back

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:35 pm

courthart246 wrote:I was wondering if I'm the only one who skips some of the projects in CTG? We are on Week 8. We are trying to make sure to do the feasts, though we have not yet done Sukkoth and it was scheduled several weeks ago. We still plan to do it sometime. What do you feel are the most important things that we should not skip?
Quick Ideas for scaling back the booth:

picnic table at the park with a bedsheet over it and just have lunch/supper together.

do you have a basement to make a fort/tent (and a lot of imagination to pretend that you are outside)

some kind of play area with a cover outdoors? We have one of those wooden swing sets with a fort on it.

It doesn't have to be "the works", just go outside, or build a play fort/tent (with whatever they normally do that kind of stuff), and enjoy a snack and lessons. It's ok to scale back. But it would be neat if you were able to do it this week because Sukkot in 2008 will start on Tuesday, the 14th of October and will continue for 7 days until Monday, the 20th of October. :-)

Post Posted Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:47 am by cbollin
*Mine was almost indoors -- screened porch.

*or a little less fancy: bed sheets over the dining room table., make an indoor fort with sheet/blankets and the sofa.

-crystal

Blessed Beth

Unread post by Blessed Beth » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I've actually found the supplies to be more manageable than this year. We left out several of the ECC art projects because of supply requirements. My husband has also been helpful at finding things around the house to illustrate the same principle for the science projects this year.

We did not have extra money to build a Sukkoth so we set up our tent in the back yard and decorated with our pumpkins and flowers. We had a pizza dinner in the tent with a big fruit bowl for our centerpiece. We only celebrated for one night. I was pretty worn out from the other celebrations and our fall schedule. The kids invited their friends who are 1/2 Jewish and had fun. When I told them the stories of Moses and the Exodus the older boy asked why his parents have never told him these things. He seemed pretty concerned. A few weeks before that we were telling him about the evidence for discovery of Noah's ark and he said "So the Bible is true then?" CTG has been a great means for witnessing to them.
Beth
Exploration to 1850
Colorado
Wife to David, Mom to Michael (1999) and Stephen (2001) and a future Ethiopian daughter.

Julie - Staff

Celebrating on the true calendar days?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:19 am

momathomewith4 wrote:I notice that MFW has us celebrating all of the feasts beginning on Fridays and sometimes going into the weekend. Does anyone plan to tweak the lesson plans and actually celebrate these feasts on their true calendar days? (EX: Rosh Hashanah on Tuesday, Sept. 30; Yom Kippur on Thursday, October 9; Sukkoth on Tuesday October 14). Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Am I crazy for even thinking of doing it this way?

Just a side note--never thought I'd love anything as much as ECC, but this year looks very exciting!
Posted Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:23 pm by baileymom
we are going to celebrate the feasts on the actual days...just going to rearrange those particular weeks abit...maybe a few heavier days to keep the feast days light.

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:43 am by evey
Sorry- my kids are in preschool and K, so I can't help with scheduling. But, just wanted to say we celebrate the feasts on the actual dates. I am a Jewish believer in Jesus, and enjoy teaching my kids about the feasts and their true messianic meanings. It is nice witnessing outreach to Jews too- a great conversation starter. Good for you guys!
Evonne

Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:33 pm by Toni@homezcool4us
Because of my dh's crazy work schedule (his days off change every 3 months), we are celebrating the feasts as they naturally occur in the lesson plans. We celebrated Rosh Hoshanna this evening.

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:35 pm by momathomewith4
Thanks to all who replied. After having a stress attack over this issue -I think it was actually a result of the flooding we've been having up here--I realized that I hadn't asked God what He wanted us to do. So I did. And once again God showed me that it would all work out fine--I really only have to make 2 or 3 small changes in the schedule in order to be able to celebrate on the actual feast days. <sigh> When will I learn to seek Him first in everything?

Well, we're enjoying CTG so far and eager to keep learning more about those feast days! Thanks again,

Posted Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:05 pm by Michele in WA
Stevia,
Thank you for posting about your answer straight from God. It was a good reminder to me to seek Him first, ,and I'm so glad He answered you so quickly!!
Michele