Books - Book basket, reading lists, summer reading,

Sheila in OK

Re: Extra lit for AHL?

Unread post by Sheila in OK » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks Julie. My dd is actually in a book club this year too, so I haven't had to worry about 'extra' reading for her. But not sure that is going to pan out for next year so I want to make sure I have a plan in place so I'm not scrambling around all year trying to find decent books for her to read.

I think the problem is, I just really miss that nice little booklist at the back of the younger guides broken down by grade level. I have used that so much this year for my 5th grader! Would love to find something like that for high school.

cbollin

quick high school question

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:44 pm

joyfulmom wrote:Does the high school curriculum have book lists like the earlier years do?

Lori
quick answer: Yes,

longer answer...
for those using the SAT prep book -- that has 150 general classics listed.

AHL: part of English credit includes "free reading" time. Several historical fiction titles are given to match time frame being studied. These will be "lighter" than the package books. It's ok to have something lighter to still let them enjoy a book.

WHL: during the weeks of the research paper, there is an optional reading list. Also, there is something closer to book basket list. as well as movie list. lists in the back of planner.. not listed by week, but more by subject.. although subjects are listed in order done.

US1: "an enrichment optional list" for more history reading is given in certain weeks. so far I think my oldest has ignore those. She's getting plenty to read in the ALS (american literature supplement) and history book and Am. Lit. book.

US2: the English credit has a list of 18-20 novels for first semester to select. and you pick about 9 of those. A movie list is given as well.

-crystal

joyfulmom

Re: quick high school question

Unread post by joyfulmom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks - that was very helpful!

Lori
Lori

2016-2017 1st, 1850-Mod, Ancient History & Lit, 1877 to present
2015-2016 K, Exp to 1850, US history to 1877
2014-2015 RTR, World History
2013-2014 1st, CTG, Ancient History
2012-2013 K, ECC