WHL Discussions - History

Marie

WHL Discussions - History

Unread post by Marie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:26 pm

New MFW Edition -- DK History of the World
Have you seen our home page recently? We are excited about the new MFW Edition of DK History of the World!
http://www.mfwbooks.com/

My Father's World has arranged a special printing of this out-of-print book for use in our high school program and is now making this book available to all. This exclusive My Father's World version is based on the 3rd (green) edition, but begins with "The First Civilizations" (B.C.), omitting 22 pages of prehistoric man and animals found in previous editions. This beautiful, full-color, 378-page hardcover book is included in our World History and Literature high school program, but would also be a great addition to any family library and is especially recommended for junior high, high school, and parent reference. At this time, we are selling the book at a $10 discount to make it easier for more families to purchase this book.

Please share the good news with other homeschoolers you know. Even families who are not using MFW will find this to be an excellent reference book for older students and parents.

Now for those of you who like to know more . . .
This book was being used in our high school program but then it went out of print. Oh, no! That didn’t seem like good news. We talked with the publisher about a reprint, but the details just weren’t working out at all. Now what? We really wanted to include this book because of its colorful illustrations and excellent history summaries for each continent.

Then we thought of a different solution. We asked the publisher: could we order an exclusive print run? The publisher was very gracious and worked with us to come to a great solution. We were able to remove the beginning section (prehistoric man and animals) and make a few other small textual changes. This made the book better, in our opinion. And to top it all off, our costs, even though considerable, were lower than expected! We are so pleased to be offering the book again, and thank God for making all of this possible.

We serve a big God who loves us enough to care about small details such as book reprints!
For Him,
Marie

Bret Welshymer

Re: New MFW Edition -- DK History of the World

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:37 am

8crown wrote:I don't have the MFW edition, but the 3rd edition. Will that still work? Is it still usable with MFW High School?
Thanks
Sylvia
The 3rd edition will work just fine. If the page numbers do not match your lesson plans for WHL, subtract 22 from from the scheduled page numbers. The newest lesson plans are written for the revised version of History of the World which has 22 less pages than the other version of the book.

MFW-Lucy

High school World History - question on week 3

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:Dd is on Thursday's work of week 3. She did the questions for history. #3 asks, basically, what philosophy was part of their worship as well as the false gods. The answer was Epicureanism and Stoicism. I found those no where in the text. Even if she had a good knowledge of those two philosophies, I didn't really see them implied either. Am I missing something? I think I read everything.

She said there is a logical progression. The first questions have to do with the first portion of the day's text and the end has to do with the end, etc. Anyone?
Dear Teresa and all WHL users,

The answers to both questions 2 and 3 are mentioned in Lesson #47 on Tuesday. We are not sure why these questions are included in Lesson #49 Review Questions, since the initial information was given earlier in the text. So, you were right that the answers to these questions are not found in this lesson.

Thanks for letting us know of this problem.

Lucy

cbollin

that new mfw editon of DK History of the World

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 pm

A while board on the board, Marie posted about a new book they have in the high school program.
Here's that thread to have any idea what I'm rambling about.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9575

y'all might think I'm a little nuts on this...
I was looking for an early Christmas gift for someone and decided to get this book and at least preview it before deciding.

I just want to say, this book would really be a nice edition to family library, or coffee table, or just a fun book for a history fan in your life to have around. When I read that on Marie's post I thought, huh why would a book in a high school program, huh???? Now I see the book and understand it more. !? Let's just say in my house this is the kind of book that grandparents would enjoy browsing. They already like Streams of Civilization, but this has pictures and makes it more appealing. :)

Toward the back of the book are reference pages with several timeline of important things like empires/civilizations, population changes, inventions, and simple history of US and history of Canada timelines.

oh yeah, it goes up to around 2005 ish or so.

I know, it's too early to talk "christmas shopping". But I just wanted to share about it as a crazy idea. I know I like idea of buying stuff that helps others and I think most on this forum know that buying from mfw for things goes to their missions fund and all of that. I've bought toys from preschool for nieces and nephews.

anyway. I'm totally rambling. But in case anyone has been interested in what that book is like, I thought I'd say it looks really nice.

but, I have to be quiet before any gifts are given ;)

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: that new mfw editon of DK History of the World

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:34 am

cbollin wrote:
Pylegang wrote:I've been tempted to order a copy. It sounds terrific. Is there a place where we can "see inside" the book online? . . . Just a couple of sample pages?
hmm... I looked on amazon for samples of the previous edition of the book, but I could only see TOC, index, covers. I don't know if the surprise me feature would show again more or not? I get a message saying I have to login to an amazon account to see more and I don't think I have an account with them.
-crystal
I have an Amazon login, and I am able to see a sample right off, although unfortunately I think it's probably the chapter that MFW took out!

Then when I use the "surprise me" feature, I can see samples of a variety of time periods, from ancient to fairly modern, plus some pages of a timeline-type-section.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lucy

Re: that new mfw editon of DK History of the World

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Pylegang wrote: Question: I have the Kingfisher Illustrated Encyclopedia and the Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World. Would it be overkill to get this DK encyclopedia?
When this book is assigned in World History and Literature (Year 2 of high school) you will want to have this books since it will already be coordinated with the program. I do not know enough about the other books to comment on them. As always Marie (the author of MFW) looks at many books before choosing the ones that she uses. After using it for the past 3 years, we were able to edit out most of the evolutionary content, so it does make it some what distinctive.

Hope this helps as you decide.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Julie in MN

10th grader spends 3 hours/day on history!! Help!!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:48 pm

ark2003 wrote:We are on week 14 of WHL. Exploring World History is taking up SO much of my daughter's school day.

So, she's not a fast reader and she has some difficulty with comprehension. I advised her to take notes, which she started doing and reported that it "helps a lot". Well, she was essentially just copying the text! NOT taking notes!!! How can i help her get through the reading assignments, take effective and efficient notes, and learn the content?

She is the oldest of six. We have 9 y/o twins in CTG, a 5 y/o in K, a 2 y/o and a 6 wk old baby. Obviously, I have limited time to spend with her on this. We are planning to get a tutor to help her with writing...perhaps we should address this issue with the tutor as well. I just don't know how much tutoring we can afford.

Any and all advice is much appreciated! God bless!
Amanda
Hi Amanda,
<Hugs> for all your responsibilities at home! Your dd sounds like she has some traits of my 2 younger kids. Definitely my youngest as far as grappling with those Notgrass tests, and maybe she's like my middle dd who was a perfectionist. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, eh?

Well, I like to brainstorm, so I'll throw out a few random ideas to start the conversation. Maybe some other high school families will be around to chime in, too.

1. Have her answer the lesson questions as she is reading the chapter, to keep her on-task and not waste time going back through the chapter more than once.

2. If she is a laborious writer, then can she try typing? My ds has typed almost everything in high school.

3. If the lesson questions are still holding her up, start her out with an open-answer-key for a few lessons or an entire unit up through the test, so she can sort-of absorb what the author is looking for on his questions.

4. Then move to open-book tests (she can hunt for the answer in her textbook, having hopefully a good idea of what she learned & where, but she can no longer use the answer-key), and do this for a test or two.

5. I wasn't able to keep up with corrections daily, nor was my ds keeping up with fixing them. But it really helped my ds to have all his lessons corrected before the test (I'd type any comments in a different color), so that would be my goal. Then he would spend a day really going over the errors, correcting them, and reviewing the questions he got right, as well :) (I even wished I'd somehow had him type out those questions so he could see the question and not just the answer, but that would have just been too much for my baby!) Or sometimes we'd discuss his errors if they were pretty off-track (I don't think teens have enough life experience to always realize what's notable). It seemed like most of the Notgrass unit test questions came pretty much from the lesson questions, so that prep made a big difference (I think another MFW mom helped me see that).

6. You might be too busy for this, but to save time, I often just summarized the "character lesson," which was the last lesson in each unit. So we'd chat or I'd type a note at the end of his corrections, rather than having ds spend a day on that lesson. That gave him the extra time for review.

7.I know in US1 this past year, I liked it when the test answer key said I could make a decision about dropping a particular question if it had not been a focus for us, etc. (I think that was in Thinking Like A Christian.) It sort-of "gave me permission" to do what I was already doing -- throwing out a question here or there that I felt was nit-picky.

8. Don't be afraid to throw out an entire test result or change things up as far as the grading rubric. Your dd needs to learn how to take tests, but she doesn't have to already have learned that -- it's a process. My son (the one who agonized through the Notgrass tests) has been taking college courses now for 3 semesters, and although some professors are quite strict, you might also be surprised how many times professors change things up. I've seen professors throw out a test, encourage extra credit, add things not on the syllabus (which dilutes the grade a bit more), etc. Just this week, he went to his Calculus class worried because he hadn't known how to do 2 problems (which can hugely affect his grade). He should have contacted the professor, but it was a weekend assignment due at 7:30 a.m. Monday morning, and he didn't get to work early as he should have. Anyways... the professor is quite strict but he started out class that day saying basically, "Never mind turning in the homework, I need to explain a few more things first." You can do that for your dd, too.

9. When my kids had trouble taking notes (dd too long, ds too short), I would try to set some ground rules about how many words or how few words to write per paragraph or per page or whatever. If she's writing too much, I would start with having her summarize each paragraph in a word. It's tough at first, but a good skill -- this paragraph is about food, or men, or whatever. Then I'd allow her to make a short list under that, so "men" might have a few names underneath, etc. She needs to learn to recognize her weaknesses and compensate for them. By the way, learning this kind of skill also comes in handy when studying for the ACT tests, since kids who try to memorize everything are just left with spinning brains and no time left. I'm not sure in this case whether note-taking is as important as getting the lesson questions correct, but note-taking is always a good skill.

10. I want to add that I wrote a LOT in college. I probably wrote every word the professor spoke. I've had teachers and field trip hosts stop mid-sentence and tell me I don't have to write this down LOL. The thing is, they would be distracted if they were writing while listening, while I learn by writing while listening. I virtually can't remember anything I hear. I compensate by writing really, really fast :) (And I rarely need to re-read what I wrote.) Just mentioning that it's possible that actually writing it all out isn't slowing her down -- not totally likely, but there is that possibility. I always tell my kids that they need to figure out how *they* learn best, and what weaknesses *they* need to compensate for -- no one else can really know those things fpr them.

11. My dd who's the perfectionist is a very slow reader. We did some speed reading with her, and one of the main points they tried to get across is that you don't remember less when you go faster. The speed reading book would have them time themselves faster and faster, answering questions, and comparing results. I'm not sure it really changed my dd, but it helped me identify some of her weaknesses and strategize a bit. Anyways, you might challenge your dd to do a Notgrass lesson faster and see whether her results drop all that much.

Well, I'll stop now, but I think my main points would be that teaching her these skills are just as important as retaining the history facts, and that she doesn't need to panic that she's failing because you have the freedom and the time to adjust things. Best wishes as you figure this out,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

ark2003

Re: 10th grader spends 3 hours/day on history!! Help!!

Unread post by ark2003 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:03 am

Julie,

Thank you so so so much! I cannot express to you how grateful I am for your insight and advice. All of your points are excellent. I feel invigorated and quite optimistic about helping her now. You have such a gift of encouragement. Thank you for sharing what God has blessed you with.

May God continue to bless you and guide you in His path.

Amanda
Amanda,
Wife to a good looking genius
Mom to five sweet girls 3/97, 4/04, 4/04, 9/08, 9/11
And one tough baby boy 7/13
Have done MFW K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG, AHL, WHL
Homeschooling since 2006

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Julie gave you an awesome answer! I just want to mention that we also follow Julie's point number 1.
My ds is in WHL this year. He gets out both the text and the question books. I taught him to read the question FIRST, then begin reading the text until you find the answer. Then read the next question and read the text, etc. This works for Notgrass as the questions do follow the text in order for the most part. I think this process helps them learn how to read with purpose, finding and being able to key in on the main points being made.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

ark2003

Unread post by ark2003 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Dawn,

Thanks so much for your input. We are going to start there, with what Julie suggested in her first point. I am so thankful for the advice!! The baby has stolen my brain cells!!!

Many blessings,
Amanda
Amanda,
Wife to a good looking genius
Mom to five sweet girls 3/97, 4/04, 4/04, 9/08, 9/11
And one tough baby boy 7/13
Have done MFW K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG, AHL, WHL
Homeschooling since 2006